Saturday 20 May 2017

Extremis


"They read the Veritas and choose Hell."

Writer: Steven Moffat
Format: TV
Broadcast: 20th May 2017
Series: 10.06

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Bill, Nardole

Synopsis

There is a text buried deep in the Vatican. A text older than the church itself. The language is lost - but thanks to the works of an early Christian sect, the title has survived: Veritas. All copies of the sect's translation disappeared, shortly after their mass suicide. But then, a few months ago, the Veritas was translated again. And what does it say? No-one knows. Because everyone who worked on the translation is now dead, by their own hand. All bodies recovered. All except one...

Verdict

Extremis was a very good episode of Doctor Who and despite its obvious qualities, I cannot help but be left wanting more! I mean, I guess that's a good thing actually as it shows that I care about the story and the direction of this tenth series so kudos to Steven Moffat for that but damnit I need answers! After the build up of the first five episodes regarding the Doctor's oath and his guarding of the Vault, the revelation that it is actually Missy who is inside was a little bit of a let down I must say. I can't wholly judge on that yet as the purpose of her being inside is far from being revealed but I was hoping for a bit more of surprise. Speaking of Missy though, it was wonderful to see Michelle Gomez back again as the female incarnation of the Master and the fact that the Doctor was serving as her executioner was rather intriguing. I'm not sure how long after the events of The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar this is for our wacky women but I don't think that really matters. What matters is that she is back and Michelle Gomez was as wonderful as ever. I really do love her because she is just an incredible actress. The theme of friendship between the Doctor and Missy is really intriguing and they seem to be working together here which is interesting. I look forward to discovering just why that is in the future but for now the world is quite under threat. Oh, and the Doctor is still quite blind. The continuation of the cliffhanger finish of Oxygen was very well done and I like how stubborn the Doctor is in not wanting Bill to know about his condition. The use of the sonic sunglasses to aid the Doctor was good though. When I read the DWM preview of this episode earlier today, I was rather surprised to read that the Pope would be appearing in the episode. With that expectation, I did not then expect him to interrupt Bill's date in her own home. It was just barmy and ludicrous and where else other than Doctor Who can something like that happen? This script was undoubtedly a little confusing in parts but with the overall story still incomplete, it would be unfair to wholly judge. The Monks seem like a very intriguing species and the fact that they've gone through the time and effort of conquering Earth via a simulation shows that they will most definitely be prepared for the real thing. Their appearance was quite disturbing and the connection they had with the Veritas was rather intriguing. The idea of those who had worked on the book and translated it then going on to commit suicide was quite horrifying but the truth would soon be revealed. Nardole showed a lot of character in this episode and it was probably his best showing so far. He worked out that everything was just a simulation and that he and Bill were a part of it. That is where things got confusing for me and it seemed a bit similar to Last Christmas in what we saw didn't actually happen. I'm not a great fan of that but the idea of a Doctor Who episode being based off of a video game really did work for me. I loved the reference to Knock Knock and I also liked how we got some answers as to just what Nardole knows and why he was reunited with the Doctor when we saw him in The Return of Doctor Mysterio. The Doctor working out things in the simulation and warning his true self was great and I like how he told Bill to call Penny that night. Things have been nicely set up for next week and I just can't help but want more, despite some slight confusion in parts. Overall though, a very good episode!

Rating: 8/10




No comments:

Post a Comment