Wednesday 26 April 2017

The Happiness Patrol


"Happiness will prevail."

Writer: Graeme Curry
Format: TV
Broadcast: 2nd-16th November 1988
Season: 25.02

Featuring: Seventh Doctor, Ace

Synopsis

On the planet Terra Alpha, bright fluorescent lights and garish candy-striped colours are abound. The population constantly display happy smiles. There's no sadness on Terra Alpha. Anyone feeling remotely glum disappears. Quickly. Having heard disturbing rumours, the Doctor and Ace arrive to topple the entire regime overnight.

But they haven't reckoned upon the varied punitive measures enforced by colony leader Helen A. There are many delicious ways to vanish on Terra Alpha - you can be hunted down by the omnipresent Happiness Patrol or mauled by Helen A's ravenous pet, Fifi. But an especially unlucky few will themselves in the sweetie factory manned by Helen A's psychotic henchman - the Kandy Man.

This time, happiness will prevail...

Verdict

The Happiness Patrol was a bit of a mixed bag in terms of its quality and although I did very much enjoy the story, the bad elements really did bring down the rating of the story and prevented it from being something brilliant. I thought the initial concept surrounding the Happiness Patrol was excellent and although the uniforms were a little questionable, I must remember that this story was produced during the 1980s so I don't think my thoughts would have been the same regarding them had I watched this story on its original broadcast. Unfortunately, I was not alive to witness it. This was the first time I have watched a story with my young cousin for quite some time and this was one adventure that he requested we watch together as it is one that doesn't get shown on television for him to watch. I am sure he now realises why as I could tell he didn't enjoy the story much and gave a rating of two marks less than what I did. I might have been a little generous but I do appreciate the good elements of this story. I really did like the concept of unhappiness being eradicated and as fate would have it the story wasn't actually too dissimilar to this past week's new episode of Smile. It's quite ironic that both adventures get the same rating. I thought this was one of Sylvester McCoy's best performances as the Seventh Doctor and whilst I far from dislike his incarnation, I often voice his Doctor as my least favourite but this story had me questioning that which was terrific. This is only the second time I have seen the serial and the first was five years ago so it's fair to say I couldn't remember too much about what happened. Ace was pretty good and whilst I'm not a fan of hers I thought she was more than tolerable which was a bonus. It still does irritate me a little bit though when she refers to the Doctor as 'professor'. I liked that the Doctor arrived on Terra Alpha for a reason rather than just coincidentally and his encounters with numerous sections of the Happiness Patrol were very good. He and Ace's attempts to get arrested were quite humorous, especially when they failed at the first attempt. Ace creating a relationship with Susan Q was good and I liked how well they got along during the story. The concept of a prison that was just a waiting zone was good too. I thought Helen A was an excellent villainess and her character really did suit being an enemy of the Seventh Doctor. Their final conversation was a really good way to finish. One thing I wasn't so keen on though was her fondness for the fondant surprise. This is where the story got a little silly for me and the concept of the Kandy Man was just quite ridiculous really. The costume, for what the character is, is actually brilliant but the character itself is just ludicrous. A being made of sweets? Even in the Doctor Who universe, that's a little far fetched in my book. I mean, it could be stopped by lemonade! What kind of threat is that? Its demise was probably expected and when the crumpled heap exited the pipes I couldn't say I was too surprised. The way the Doctor solved the overall problem on Terra Alpha was good and his way of portraying excessive happiness really did put him in a good position which was great. Overall, I honestly believe it is better than its reputation would have you believe but it certainly doesn't come without its flaws.

Rating: 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment