Sunday 30 April 2017

Terror of the Cabinet Noir Part 2


"When I'm an old maid in my bed, I'll take up reading. For now, I'll stick with sword-fighting."

Writer: Robbie Morrison
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 30th March 2017
Printed in: DWC: Tales from the TARDIS 16

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor

Synopsis

The Doctor finds himself teamed with a rebellious French swordswoman to battle the infamous Cardinal Richelieu and his secret police! But it's not just the Cardinal they have to worry about - it's his allies, who definitely aren't from around here...

Verdict

Terror of the Cabinet Noir continued in excellent style with this terrific second part of the comic strip adventure! I really was impressed with part one and after rereading it those thoughts definitely did not change. It has taken me a little longer to get around to reading this middle installment of the story than I would have liked but I am quite pleased that this month I have gotten somewhere close to the days of old on this blog with the most monthly entries of the year so far. The next issue of Doctor Who Comic is actually out now and I will be looking to purchase that tomorrow and hopefully not take so long in blogging its contents as has been the case with the last two issues! I really liked the continuation of the late-17th century French setting in Paris and the continued mystery surrounding Richelieu still being alive fifty years after his historical death. That explanation was given to us in some style with a wonderful flashback scene at the hands of Bishop Mazarin. I liked how easily the Doctor managed to get the information from him and he now knew some key details about the Cabinet Noir and what it would mean for France's future. The theme of religion has been very good and it's not often that you'll get me praising it so there's a rarity! But the theme is definitely in line with the time of the story's setting which was a big positive for me. I thought Julie was once again magnificent filling in for the companion role as this story is of course set prior to the events of The Return of Doctor Mysterio and all the connotations with Series 10 that is currently in the middle of being broadcast. I do enjoy doing stories of other mediums whilst the series is ongoing with that current Doctor, even if it isn't set alongside the new episodes, and that was realised here with the way I was reading the words of the Doctor. The characterisation of Peter Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor really was brilliant in this part of the comic strip and I have always said that it makes for much easier reading and usually a better appreciation for the story when that is the case. His relationship with Julie has been terrific thus far and she definitely is quite different to the friends he is used to. The use of Gargoyles as minions in this story was unexpected but definitely something I approved of! I really did like it, especially when they could speak. They mercilessly arrived into the Doctor and Julie's presence by killing Mazarin in gruesome style and that didn't sit well with Julie as she declared a fight. A fight with gargoyles who already wanted to kill her. The Doctor though had information already about the secret dark library and the whole idea of darkness shining through in this comic strip is very good. What lies in store for the eclipse is something I'm sure we'll find out in the final part and that is something I am looking most forward to. The Doctor and Julie arriving at the Palace of Versailles only to find that King Louis XIV himself was part of the same eminence coming from the Cabinet Noir was unexpected but provided a fantastic cliffhanger! It really has set things up nicely for a fast-paced conclusion to the story and that is one which I am very looking forward to reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment