Tuesday 9 August 2016

Time-Flight


"Behind every illusion there's a conjuror."

Writer: Peter Grimwade
Format: TV
Broadcast: 22nd-30th March 1982
Season: 19.07

Featuring: Fifth Doctor, Nyssa, Tegan

Synopsis 

The TARDIS arrives by accident in the middle of Terminal One at Heathrow Airport. One of the supersonic Concordes has disappeared mid-air and the Doctor, Tegan and Nyssa soon become involved in a hunt for the missing aeroplane. But what connects its disappearance to prehistoric Earth and why is a mysterious sorcerer so interested in the Doctor's TARDIS? A flight through time will reveal all.

Verdict 

Time-Flight is a terrific little story and one that in fan polls does not get the recognition it deserves. It's a great little finale to the nineteenth season and I think some people have been overly critical. It's ambitious, fun whilst remaining serious and sees the return of the Master in one of his best disguises yet. I was watching the story once again with my young cousin and I made it a point not to mention that the Master appeared in the story. Thankfully the DVD case had no images of him on the front and no mention of the Time Lord in the synopsis made me very excited to see his reaction to the part two cliffhanger. It's one I love because you just wouldn't expect Kalid to be a disguise of the Master. There doesn't even seem to be a need for him to be hiding his identity and picking what appeared to be an Asian sorcerer was just really out there and I loved it. My cousin immediately looked at me with a smile once the Master arrived and I was glad that he didn't know of his arrival. That familiar laugh of Anthony Ainley was a joy to behold and I liked how shocked the Doctor was to seeing his arch nemesis present. Seeing an aeroplane in Jurassic England was quite a sight and I also loved the Master hiding his TARDIS as the first aeroplane that was lost in time. There were some fantastic references to Full Circle, Castrovalva and Earthshock with this story following on immediately where the latter left off with the death of Adric. Tegan wasn't coping as well as the Doctor and Nyssa but I liked how they were still feeling the effects of his sacrifice. The scenes in Heathrow Airport were quite comical especially at the story's end with the explanations about what had occurred. The TARDIS turning up again sparked an excellent reaction. Captain Stapley and Professor Hayter were fantastic characters and I liked how the latter died with the knowledge of the universe. That's all he ever wanted and more. He was staggered by the temporal engineering of the TARDIS and wanted to know more. The Xeraphin were intriguing and the way the Master took control of them and harnessed their energy was good. The Doctor soon saw that the Master would be taking a visit to their home planet though by some fiddling with TARDIS components. The cricket analogy for the Doctor overcoming the Master's TARDIS was very good and fitting for this incarnation. Tegan not making it into the TARDIS was a very good way to end the series and I liked how it was resolved in Arc of Infinity. Tegan had felt very at home at Heathrow Airport and it was nice to see her actually become a stewardess, even if it was only temporary. She was having a lovely look around the airport when the Doctor had to leave in a quick flash without her. I'm not sure what my reaction would have been at the time but after the Master being disposed of, seeing Tegan left behind must have come as a big shock to finish the season. I'm sure it got people talking though so it was successful in gaining interest. Overall, it does have its issues but I think it's fantastic.

Rating: 8/10



No comments:

Post a Comment