Wednesday 3 August 2016

The Twist Part 1


"So you're creating a diversion for a man you don't know. Right. That makes perfect sense."

Writer: George Mann
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 28th July 2016
Printed in: DWC: Tales from the TARDIS 09

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor

Synopsis 

In the wake of Clara's exit, the Doctor is flying solo — and finding just as much trouble, danger, and cosmic wonder as when Ms. Oswald was around!

Verdict 

The Twist kicked off a new story, and a new era, in great fashion with this fantastic first part! I say new era because following The Fourth Wall, this comic strip story sees the Twelfth Doctor venture beyond Series 9 as he is travelling alone after the events of Face the Raven and Heaven Sent/Hell Bent which saw Clara die and the Doctor's memory of her lost. Doctor Who Comic has yet to follow Doctor Who Magazine's The Pestilent Heart in addressing the Doctor's memory loss of his latest companion but I'm sure that will come in good time. Here in the UK, we've still got some way to go for the Twelfth Doctor comics with this just the sixth issue to contain adventures from the second years of comics. I thought things started well and I loved the image of the Twelfth Doctor rocking it out amongst a crowd at a concert and I originally thought he was just genuinely on the Twist to see the band. He did admit to being a fan and owning all of their albums, of which were yet to be released, but he was there to solve a mystery. It appeared his curiosity had got the better of him once again, though that's not exactly a surprise anymore. Ever since my first viewing of The Daleks I've not been surprised at curiosity defeating the Doctor. It's the one thing he can't give in to. I must commend this comic strip for having incredible artwork and I must say I think it's the best I've ever seen in a Doctor Who comic strip. It was absolutely incredible and I really have never seen the like before. Credit must go to Mariano Laclaustra for bringing this story to life in incredible fashion. Just look at my above picture to see how good it was. I don't often mention things like artwork in my blog entries so for me to be praising it like this it must have been very good! Seeing the Twelfth Doctor travel alone is no strange concept to us as it was presented to us in both Series 8 and 9 that Clara didn't constantly stay in the TARDIS. She came and went so that had to mean the Doctor travelled alone at some point. We scarcely saw it other than in The Women Who Lived but this comic really allows us to explore life after Clara for the Doctor. The Twist was an interesting setting and I liked how impressive it looked in space. The Doctor's arrival was not simply by chance and his interest in the man that turned out be Jakob was intriguing. I was very happy to see George Mann named as the writer of the story as I think he's a terrific writer. His Engines of War novel ranks as one of my very favourites. I am interested to see whether Hattie will stay on as companion to the Doctor after filling in the role in this comic strip although I must say her punk appearance doesn't seem befitting of a companion. I'm sure there'd be a lot of humour and banter surrounding music but at this stage in my reading, I hope she just fills in during this comic adventure. She did seem a bit out of her depth but I did like her interest in the Doctor and his being at the concert. Jakob being blamed for the death of Idra was interesting but it seemed she was killed for a reason after the Doctor discovered her secret room. There were sightings of a humanoid looking wolf, considerably smaller than the Werewolf we saw in Tooth and Claw, but a wolf-like creature nonetheless! And that very creature attacked the Doctor, Hattie and Jakob in the park when they were looking for answers surrounding Idra's death. I'm intrigued to see where things go from here and that's exactly what a first part of a comic strip should be about. I look forward to its continuation!




No comments:

Post a Comment