Wednesday 22 July 2015

Remembrance of the Daleks


"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies."

Writer: Ben Aaronovitch 
Format: TV
Broadcast: 5th-26th October 1988
Season: 25.01

Featuring: Seventh Doctor, Ace

Synopsis 

London 1963. The First Doctor is forced to leave Earth, after two teachers from his granddaughter's school discover the TARDIS, disguised as a police box, sitting in a junkyard...

London 1963. The Seventh Doctor returns - with new companion Ace in tow and with unfinished business.

Not for the first time, unusual events are unfolding at Coal Hill School and at Totters Lane junkyard. The Doctor discovers his oldest foes - the Daleks - are on the trail of hidden Time Lord technology. Technology that he himself left behind on Earth all those years ago. The Daleks are planning to perfect their own time-travel capability, in order to unleash themselves across all of time and space. Can the Doctor - with the help of the local military - stop the Daleks stealing the Gallifreyan secrets? Or are things much more complicated?

Two opposing Dalek factions meet in an explosive confrontation, with the fate of the entire universe at stake...

Verdict 

Remembrance of the Daleks is a truly remarkable story and it's definitely right that this kicks off the landmark 25th anniversary season! It's quite fitting that 25 years on from when it all began, we have a story that features the Daleks, the greatest enemies in Doctor Who history, and a return to 1963! This was my third time watching the story (and I'm looking very forward to reading the novelisation) but this was probably my best experience as I watched with my now seven year old cousin (he's growing so fast!) who requested that I bring this story to watch because of his love of the Seventh Doctor from our last watch of Silver Nemesis. He really loved this story and why wouldn't he? It's brilliant. We've got two Dalek factions, continuing on excellently from Revelation of the Daleks, in the Imperial and Renegade factions. The Davros loyalists and the Emperor follows. It's a great concept! The story of the Hand of Omega was astounding and I like how we have a small idea of what the First Doctor was doing prior to An Unearthly Child. The blind vicar who helped bury the casket housing the Hand of Omega was magnificent with him referencing the Doctor's voice seemed to be quite different. The collection of the casket was also terrific with the reference to the thought description of the Doctor being an older bloke with white hair. I didn't bother trying to explain this to my cousin, who is yet to watch a First Doctor story (I think I'll keep things colourised for now as he seemed to question some of the effects in this story). This being Ace's first adventure is the only thing I dislike about this story (well, it's a criticism at the character rather than the story so the rating is absolutely unaffected). I just can't get to liking her no matter how many times I do a story with her in. I thought that might change in the audios after The Fearmonger but that sadly didn't materialise. It's no secret why this story prompted the creation of a brand new audio spinoff in Counter Measures. I've been put off doing that series as it's been nearly three years since I last watched this story and I must say I couldn't remember much about the characters at all. I must say though I thought the team was fantastic. Rachel was wonderful and I really liked her confidence and immediate hitting off with the Doctor after he just stepped into the van. Allison was also magnificent and I really think she could step up in the audios and take the lead. Mike was an interesting character and his relationship with Ace seemed good at first until his true intentions were revealed as being in connection with Ratcliffe. Group Captain Gilmore was also very good but he was nowhere near up to scratch as the Brigadier in leading an army based group of people. Thankfully combined with the other team members they made the quite the team. There was an abundance of past Dalek story references with The Daleks, The Dalek Invasion of Earth, Death to the Daleks and Genesis of the Daleks all getting a mention. But it was the references to The Web of Fear and Terror of the Zygons that I loved the most with the Doctor admiring how human beings cover up the incredible happenings that occur in history. Of course Ace wouldn't know about them. I enjoyed the Coal Hill setting and I really liked that my cousin picked up on it being the place where Clara works as an English teacher. The action packed scenes were fantastic and it really made this a memorable story! Daleks were blowing up everywhere! The spaceship landing was eventful and I just loved the look on my cousin's face when Davros revealed himself to be present. I purposely told him that he wasn't featuring in this story after he asked just to get that reaction and it was magical. He found the voices quite humorous which was nice to see. The plot throughout was excellent and this story really is superb. The climax was great with the Doctor sending the Hand of Omega straight into Skaro's sun vaporising the planet. Both Dalek factions were obliterated and the Doctor was quite smug about it which I thought was fantastic. He should be. He was ridded of his deadliest enemies, for now at least. Davros appeared to escape but he'd be gone for a while. Twenty years to be precise on television. This wasn't a bad one to finish on in the Classic era! Overall, a sublime story. My cousin gave the same rating as me and it appears that the Seventh Doctor is his favourite. Hmm, I'll have to try and change that. 

Rating: 10/10





1 comment:

  1. This was the first 7th Doctor thing I saw. And I enjoy it. Help me take the 7th Doctor and Ace more seriously.
    The Dalek war prove the best part. Yep.
    Ace rock. She was so brave risking her lfie to help the Doctor and even took on one of Davros's Imperial Daleks with a club. And she was nice to comfort the girl which the Supreme of the Renegade Daleks use.
    The 7th Doctor tickle me, the clown getting the better of the Daleks and tricking Davros through his ego.
    Introduce me to a Beatles's song with the 'Whispher in your ear'.

    ReplyDelete