Wednesday 29 April 2015

Revolutions of Terror Part 3


"We destroyed our own world... all in the name of winning a local, petty squabble..."

Writer: Nick Abadzis 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 23rd April 2015
Printed in: DWC #3

Featuring: Tenth Doctor, Gabby

Synopsis 

Terror has gripped Sunset Park, Brooklyn, with Cerebravores manifesting as people's worst fears! The Doctor's investigation set him on a collision course with the irrepressibly curious Gabriella Gonzalez, and the pair tracked the incursion back to Gabby's father's laundromat, where strange vibrations opened a wormhole! The Doctor left Gabby to keep the nix care wormhole open while he travelled across the dimensional bridge. Both now find themselves under attack! 

Verdict 

Revolutions of Terror concluded in excellent fashion here and I'm happy to say that this is where my previous knowledge and reading of some of the Titan Comics' adventures comes to an end. It was quite an effort for me back at the mid to late of last year to try and pick these comics up due to travel and expense but I did manage to finish the first adventure of each Doctor (two for the Eleventh Doctor in fact) and this was the story and series, ironically despite having the lowest rating (which has actually now changed), that I felt I was quite gutted not to be able to continue with because I took an immediate shine to Gabby and I just felt that she'd suit the Tenth Doctor personally. I think with the Eleventh Doctor's section of what is now, to us in the UK, Doctor Who Comic, Alice just doesn't fit with Matt Smith's incarnation at all. Jones has now arrived so things might change but based on my first stint, this story was the one I was saddened most to not be able to continue. But along comes the wonderful Doctor Who Comic and finally in issue four I'll be able to read a new adventure with each Doctor! But anyway, to the Sri at hand and as a whole, this improved ratings wise than my first read which I was most pleased about. I loved the scene at the beginning, as pictured above, where the Doctor is in a struggle and flashbacks of the Master, a Time Lord, Sutekh and the Beast are seen. A wonderful image! I must admit I am enjoying Doctor Who Comic's use of Classic referencing and flashbacks where possible. It wasn't long after the pictured scene that we saw a flashback of a Cyberman and Rassilon either! For me though, this story was all about Gabby and I love how by now she's comfortable with the Doctor. I loved her non-defeatist attitude when singing to keep herself concentrated on keeping the wormhole open for the Doctor. On the other side, the revelation about the Cerebravores was most interesting! They were designed to be how they were - this wasn't their natural reaction. It's fair to say the Doctor wasn't overly impressed. I just loved the progression of Gabby. She took the amplification beam full whack in the face and despite that wiping out the Cerebravores and saving the entire planet, Gabby was glum about the fact her adventure was over. Back to boring old reality doing double shifts in the laundromat and restaurant whilst taking that wretched accounts class. It was obvious from the cliffhanger of part one that she was going to be companion but whilst it wasn't confirmed it was nice to see how things were turning out. Her reaction to going inside the TARDIS was absolutely stunning. Bewilderment and a huge smile, she simply exclaimed to the Doctor that his 'equipment hut' was rather roomy. I really liked that. I also liked how she worked out that the Doctor wasn't 'local' either. It was nice to hear how once again the Doctor thought of Earth as his second home and was rather fond of the human race. I wasn't surprised by how he avoided answering Gabby's questioning of his first home. As far as he was aware, the Doctor believed he destroyed his home planet. Sometime soon though, he'll put that right along with the help of a past and future self. Once all was saved, I was actually quite surprised that the Doctor stayed for a meal with Gabby's family! Cindy questioning whether Gabby and the Doctor were an item was quite funny because she was so immediately defensive about them not being anything of the sort. She then almost begged for the Doctor to take her with him - to see the universe. After initially refusing, it seemed Gabby echoed words leading up to The End of Time. Just one trip Gabby was promised. Well, we all know how lengthy that became for Martha... Overall, a great comic strip story! I loved the Weeping Angel moment too. 

Rating: 9/10



No comments:

Post a Comment