Wednesday 1 April 2015

Terrorformer Part 2


"The energies within them out of control - an entire race on the verge of supernova."

Writer: Robbie Morrison
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 26th March 2015
Printed in: DWC #2

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara

Synopsis 

The Doctor and Clara came to the ice world of Isen VI - to find it transformed into a lush jungle by terraformers in the pay of the richest man in the 25th century, Kano Dollar! But this is no holiday - the Doctor has tracked a signal of Time Lord origin to the planet. After ingratiating himself with the terraformers, they descended to the core of the planet to discover that the terraforming machines had ruptured an ancient containment unit. And now, after millions of years in cryogenic suspension, a fearsome Hyperion is awake!

Verdict 

Terrorformer concluded excellently in this second part! Now, the blog entry for this story's conclusion is nearly two weeks later than I expected and hoped! Firstly, during my blogging of part one, I wasn't planning on starting the Series 8 DVD rewatch - that actually came after purchasing the Half-Face Man figurine magazine when I thought I wouldn't be able to have it after my usual supplier didn't have any in stock. Just by chance I found it in a market in a city not too far away. Anyway, originally I had blabbed on this blog going out on March 19th (the advertised release date of issue 2 of the new UK Doctor Who Comic). However, the issue was put back a week and I didn't want to interfere with my DVD rewatch of the travels of the Twelfth Doctor and Clara by seeing what they were getting up to in the comic strips! I was lucky to find the second issue of this comic actually as it was almost hidden away in WH Smith! Right at the bottom and right at the back. But I got there in the end (along with the stunning Tereleptil figurine) and have now managed to conclude the story (once again) today. I read this story back in November-December time with the US version but whilst I'm getting the UK DWC I thought I should reread the stories I've already done to get back into the swing of things with each Doctor and respective companion. I thought this part was weaker than the story's first but it was still very good indeed! The story as a whole gets a superb rating so I can't have any complaints really. The cliffhanger was excellent last time out so I enjoyed how we got a history of the Hyperions to start off this issue. I loved how they were sentient sun-like beings who at first, were very helpful and kind to other species. But as their evolution was coming to an end, that all changed. They became evil and desperate to prolong their lives. They harnessed the powers of suns outside of their solar system and took the energy into themselves, leaving innocent creatures and their planets to freeze. The picture of Rassilon standing side by side with Sontaran's and Silurians as part of the intergalactic alliance was sublime. Not too shabby an alliance to go to war against the Hyperions then! The Doctor standing up the Rann-Korr was brilliant. Despite blowing them all up and then saving them all but losing them in a pocket dimension, the Doctor was still representing the Time Lords even if he was technically the last in this universe. Rann-Korr mocked that but that just seemed to ignite the fire in the Doctor's eyes to put an end to the great inferno after all. His statement about having plans within plans only to not have the slightest idea of a plan was just wonderful and typical of the Twelfth Doctor. I loved that. I'm not convinced the characterisation of Clara is accurate but I actually liked her here. The sword fight with Eric was neatly done indeed. I liked how she stood proudly but was almost engulfed by the fire of Hyperios. That would have been embarrassing. Professor Spector was a good character and I liked how suddenly Kano Dollar changed his stance on his wedding to a warrior bride after she challenged him to see who would dominate the bedroom! I'm not sure any man would be quite pleased about that though! Aurora was a great little addition to the story after the crash too! I liked the build up to the conclusion with Rann-Korr laughing ferociously thinking victory was his and that Hyperios would rise. The Doctor though had other ideas and with the help of Clara and co, turned the Hyperion into a great ice lolly! Or pretty much anyway. It was a comical ending but a logical one. I do like how it leaves things open for a possible return of Rann-Korr because eventually, that ice has got to melt! I also thought the ending was peculiar going back to Neptune in the 22nd century. I'm not sure if anything will be made of that though. Overall though, a very good conclusion to the excellent story started in issue one! A good start to the US imported Twelfth Doctor comics!

Rating: 8/10



No comments:

Post a Comment