Friday 20 March 2015

The Caretaker


"I'm the caretaker. Look at me, I've got a brush."

Writers: Gareth Roberts & Steven Moffat
Format: TV
Broadcast: 27th September 2014
Series: 8.06

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara

Synopsis 

With a lurking danger that threatens the pupils of Coal Hill School and the people of the Earth, the Doctor goes into deep cover and becomes the school's caretaker, much to Clara's disapproval. But what will the Time Lord think of his companion's new boyfriend?

Verdict 

The Caretaker was another great Twelfth Doctor episode and his reign in this eighth series has started off mightily impressive. I really enjoyed this story as it was a lot of fun and humour. I liked how the Doctor refused to tell Clara what he was up to because, as she pointed out, she wouldn't approve. Mysterious Doctor is a brilliant Doctor. The opening scene in the TARDIS was great with Clara quickly opening the TARDIS door again once exiting. The Doctor's arrival into Coal Hill School as the step in caretaker was wonderful as I just loved his and Clara's reaction. Once the Doctor was introduced to everyone, the conversation between he and Clara was brilliant. The humour in such a serious fashion that Capaldi brings to the role is just magnificent. It really is wonderful. My opening quote is probably pretty rubbish in comparison to what could have been used but as soon as I heard, now and on broadcast, I was almost in tears. The school setting is a fantastic one as was previously demonstrated in Remembrance of the Daleks and School Reunion and despite us not quite having an enemy carrying such a threat, it worked well. The skipping between days was good as it allowed us to see Clara in some amazingly stunning different attires! Jenna Coleman truly is gorgeous. Despite my love of Clara, I just can't buy into her being a teacher. She looked out of place in a school, especially in a teaching capacity. I did like how the pupils were clued on about Clara and Danny being in a relationship though. The conversation at Clara's classroom window about Pride and Prejudice was gold. Clara gave a big antagonising speech about how the Doctor probably had adventures with Jane Austen but he simply responds by saying he saw the date in the bio of one of the prints. Superb. The Doctor laying the trap for the Skovox Blitzer with the chronodyne generators was good but I think Danny cancelling his date with Clara to investigate the new caretaker showed just how incapable the Doctor was in fitting in with human society, especially in a school. The Doctor luring the Blitzer to the school with the invisibility watch was great and I liked the use of the watch during the episode. The Doctor knowing Clara had snuck Danny into the TARDIS using the watch was superb. The Doctor thinking Clara's boyfriend was Adrian was fantastic especially with his resemblance to the Eleventh Doctor. When he found out Danny was actually Clara's boyfriend things immediately changed. The relationship between them was already edgy with the Doctor's complete indifference to believing a soldier could teach maths and now they just took another big twist. It's lovely seeing how much Clara means to the Doctor even if he doesn't openly show it. I thought it was very nice how he wanted to make sure Clara's boyfriend was good enough for her though. Not that I care to be honest. The direction with the revived Doctor Who including the family and love life of the companion isn't my cup of tea at all. I just don't understand why it needs to happen and whilst it does the Classic era will remain promptly my favourite era. I doubt that'll ever change regardless though to be honest. The arrival of the Blitzer during parents evening, some 24 hours before the Doctor believed it was scheduled after the last lob through time, was great. The Doctor revising his resolution plan from 24 hours to 2 minutes was quite brilliant and humorous! The resolution though I thought could have been better. It was basically a Danny front flip over the Blitzer that was meant to be depicted as impressive but I didn't think it was anything too special. I just don't like the character. I'm hoping the Doctor stays that way too! Overall, a very entertaining episode but I thought the resolution should have been better. The story though had great humour, another stellar Capaldi performance though a namedrop specific reference (or appearance) of Ian or Barbara would have been special! Seeing Clara in a sweat was pretty appealing I must say and I also liked the brief return of Missy and the Nethersphere.

Rating: 8/10






No comments:

Post a Comment