Monday 19 January 2015

Night Terrors


"You see these eyes? They're old eyes. And one thing I can tell you... monsters are real."

Writer: Mark Gatiss
Format: TV
Broadcast: 3rd September 2011
Series: 6.09

Featuring: Eleventh Doctor, Amy, Rory

Synopsis 

The Doctor receives a distress call, bringing him, Amy and Rory to 21st century Earth. George is a young boy terrorised by the monsters in his cupboard... and those monsters may just be real. 

Verdict 

Night Terrors was a pretty decent episode to continue on the second half of the sixth series of the revived Doctor Who but considering the standard set so far in the series and the fact that it was penned by Mark Gatiss, it really should have been better. Don't get me wrong, the episode was good and certainly had its highlights but it's nowhere near some of the stories produced for this series. Even The Curse of the Black Spot is in another league and I don't even think that holds up against the likes of The Doctor's Wife. The idea of a cry for help from a frightened child reaching the TARDIS was something I struggled to believe but that was made up for the fact that the Doctor was more than willing to help a scared child. The search of the apartment building to find the missing child seemed pretty irrelevant but it was worth it just to see Amy wondering around. Karen Gillan really did look absolutely incredible in this episode. I must say, the current production team do know how to impress us male viewers with the beauty of the companions. Once Karen departs we'll see the gorgeous Jenna Coleman arrive. Amy and Rory plummeting from a lift into the doll house in George's cupboard was quite confusing but I loved the idea of everything he feared being put in the cupboard. Talk about locking your fears away! The Doctor's reaction to the cupboard with the sonic readings off the scale was fantastic. The highlight of this episode had to be the humour between the Doctor and Alex. They bounced off each other expertly and certainly rivalled the relationship the Doctor and Craig had in The Lodger. The scene when they both arrived in the doll house by the dinner table and the Doctor just stacked things up in Alex's arms was absolutely brilliant and just typical of the Eleventh Doctor, my favourite of all thirteen. I liked how it was implied from Amy and Rory first arriving in the doll house that it was just that. They didn't know where they were. But Amy noticed that there was a wooden copper pan, a clock with drawn on hands and then the exit door didn't have a door knob! The Doctor only needed a wooden chicken to work out where he was. Amy and Rory being chased by the Peg Dolls was entertaining and I loved their appearance because I know that'll frighten many viewers! That's what Doctor Who does so well in stories like this - play on the viewers' fears. George being scared of pretty much everything was intriguing and I thought the fear was shown through very well through the acting but I can't seem to wrap my head around being scared of slight noises or the falling of a toy. But I guess that's because I'm not an eight year old anymore, though I can't remember being extremely scared of anything. Although, the landlord was a pretty horrible person. A perfectly stereotypical bastard. The horrific dog, shocking clothes and disturbing haircut. He personified everything I despise really. I wish he'd stayed as a Peg Doll to be honest! The rhyme being heard by the Dolls was excellent but I didn't think their laugh was as effective as it could have been. Rory attacking them with a mop was pretty funny though! And then Amy went and turned herself into one. I was quite surprised that Amy and Rory didn't ever meet George seeing as he was the reason they were in the doll house. The Doctor's mentioning of bedtime stories was terrific with a fabulous reference to Snow White and the Seven Keys to Doomsday. The revelation that George was a Tenza simply seeking attention came too late I thought. There wasn't enough anticipation surrounding his opening of the cupboard. By the point he'd arrived in the doll house I'd almost lost interest which I thought was a shame. Alex giving him the assurance that he'd never be taken away was a nice moment to finish the story on though. The series arc of the Doctor's looming death was continued nicely but the highlight was Karen Gillan's appearance and the relationship of the Doctor and Alex. 

Rating: 7/10






No comments:

Post a Comment