Monday 3 November 2014

Opera of Doom


"It's a machine that composes and performs concertos! It's supposed to make the most beautiful music in the universe..."

Writer: Jonathan Morris
Format: Comic Strip
Released: July 2006
Printed in: Doctor Who Storybook 2007

Featuring: Tenth Doctor, Rose

Synopsis 

The Tenth Doctor and Rose visit Vanezia, home to the most beautiful music in the cosmos, but there's something strange about the new opera house

Verdict 

Opera of Doom was a very good comic strip adventure featuring the terrific pairing of the Tenth Doctor and Rose. I do like the comic stories from the Storybooks and I do wish that perhaps the book featured at least one more comic strip instead of short text annuals. I think it's a kind of substitute for the content from within the classic Annuals. The visit to Vanezia was an intriguing one and I liked how the Doctor was continuing to show Rose just about anything and everything in the universe! The resemblances to Venice were canny and I loved the immediate mystery surrounding the grand opera house. The Doctor was reading the official tour guide and there was no mention of the overwhelming and giant opera house. That was somewhat unbelievable and the Doctor obviously suspected outside interference. The concept of the opera house playing something different and new every single night was intriguing and I was interested by its aim. And then the horror was revealed afterwards when the Doctor and Rose went in search of the automatic's autograph. They found out what was powering the opera organism - living people who were literally being fried and the power used to work the musical beauty. The Doctor's happiness and glee at seeing the lurker Mangrillo was a surprise, why was it so pleasant? But then of course he recognised the species and knew exactly how to defeat it. Now, I've not hidden the fact that I think Jonathan Morris could do a better job with comic strips, namely my reading through the The Child of Time graphic novel, and here again I thought the climax could have been handled better. We had Fred Goddo, a man earning his living on the street singing, beating the grand opera organism because of his complete lack of musical ability. Well that was pretty poor in my eyes because I doubt the Doctor or Rose were any better yet they remained recognise! Anyway, at just 7 pages (a tad shorter than a DWM one part comic), there isn't too much more to say about the story, other than the fact I didn't recognise the song Rose was singing at all which I found comical! Overall, very good though and an enjoyable read. Just make them longer! 

Rating: 8/10





No comments:

Post a Comment