Monday 17 November 2014

Children of Earth: Day One



"She died because she thought she was nothing."

Writer: Russell T Davies
Format: TV
Broadcast: 6th July 2009
Series: 3.01

Featuring: Captain Jack, Gwen, Ianto

Synopsis 

When all children on Earth stop and start chanting "We Are Coming", the Torchwood team investigate. Could this be the start of a global panic?

Verdict

Children of Earth: Day One was an absolutely phenomenal start to this new look and new feel third season of Torchwood. To say it was packed with milestone events is an understatement! I just knew it was going to be something special when I saw that Russell T Davies was back writing for the series he created for the first time since the pilot episode. I liked how we got straight into business of what the series is obviously going to be centred around with the stopping of the children at 8.40am. I loved how the complete stoppage of children occurred right during the school run of Great Britain, and then again at 10.30 - the general break time during school. I really liked how it was mentioned that the times were all focusing on Britain, so what was so special? I look forward to finding out very much. The pre-title scene in 1965 Scotland was very intriguing and I'm sure that'll tie in nicely with Clement as the series goes on. Speaking of which, what a terrific character he was in this opening episode! Just what made him so special that he's the only adult to be in sync with the message being spoken by the children. His conversation with Gwen was somewhat uncomfortable with the sniffing but I loved how it got easier once he knew he could speak to Gwen about the aliens. That he wasn't alone. The reference to Gwen's pregnancy was also quite a shock! How the hell could he tell she was pregnant, and how long along she was? Whatever it was, I liked it and loved the look of shock from Gwen. The cameo, if you can call it that, of Rhys was a bit of a shame I thought. After the deaths of Owen and Tosh in the last episode, Exit Wounds, which concluded series two in style, I really thought Rhys's role within Torchwood might have increased. But at first it looked like Rupesh was going to be a new member of the team - before he shot Jack that was. Gwen feeling sympathy for him, before the shooting of course, was nice as she went through exactly the same thing in the referenced Everything Changes. I really liked how Jack and Ianto seem to be officially a couple now, even if they both didn't seem to be quite to grips with it yet. The humour where they dislodged the hitchhiker from the corpse was brilliant! Seeing Peter Capaldi as John Frobisher was really quite strange after seeing him star as the Twelfth Doctor very recently in the latest series finale. But it's fantastic to look back and rewatch this series, for the first time since broadcast, and see how he fared in the Whoniverse for more than just the one episode as was seen in The Fires of Pompeii. The appearance of UNIT was quite a surprise I must say but one I certainly welcomed! Will we get an organisation alliance to defeat the mysterious and thus far unexplained 456? I would love to see it. Perhaps the biggest surprise in this episode was Alice, the daughter of Jack! Now that really was a pleasant shock. I think it's staggeringly good how Jack has a child that he still cares for and despite him not ageing whilst she does, he is protecting her. I loved how he wanted a better relationship with Steven and despite the mystery surrounding the children at the time, I sensed truth and plea behind Jack's words. He was his grandson after all. Ianto's sister, Rhiannon, also being introduced was very good. I absolutely adored Gwen's comments when she was going over the Severn Bridge and into the dreaded place known as England. As a passionate Welshman myself I think I just fell in love with her all over again! The introduction of Lois was done well and I liked how it being her first day opened a lot of doors. The issue of the blank page against Jack was excellent and really give the series something to run with! The government had ordered his assassination! But he couldn't die. Would they just employ people to continuously kill him every time he resurrects? I look forward to finding out. But the cliffhanger we were given was astounding. It was one of the best ever! Rupesh was dead, and now a bomb had been implanted into Jack! I loved how it was suspected that the rift or hub was the reason for Jack's inability to die. And after congratulating Gwen on her pregnancy he got a little too close to the scanner and a bomb was detected inside him. Gwen's reaction to her pregnancy was amazing but now she and Ianto had to run. And as they got out, the Hub and Jack exploded. Goodness knows what'll happen during the second day! 

Rating: 10/10





No comments:

Post a Comment