Wednesday 11 December 2013

Random Shoes


"What happened? How did I end up here? I mean, I'm dead, but I'm not dead."

Writer: Jacquetta May
Format: TV
Broadcast: 10th December 2006
Series: Torchwood 1.09

Featuring: Captain Jack, Gwen, Owen, Tosh, Ianto

Synopsis

A hit-and-run victim, obsessed with alien life, realises only one person can solve the mystery of his death: Gwen Cooper.

Verdict

Ah, well I guess the sensational standard of Torchwood set in the series so far, consisting of 9 or 10/10s, couldn't last forever. Random Shoes was just a very good Love and Monsters which doesn't account for a huge amount. Yes, this had it's good moments, and overall it was pretty good, but there were lot of things that brought its mark down in comparison to the eight episodes before it. I admit that I felt sorry for the character of Eugene and what he'd gone through in life. Of course, prior to his death (which I have no idea why a special ops team were dealing with despite his attempts to get their attention). It was clear that Gwen was undoubtedly the shining light in this episode. Her determination and willingness made her much more beautiful than she already is! Her wanting to help was just stunning to see. The mystery of the alien eye that Eugene had gotten hold of was very intriguing but I didn't like how his own friends cost him a large amount of money on eBay! I felt sorry for Eugene as he just seemed awkward and unwanted. But once dead, I just wanted him to disappear! There was way too much pointless dialogue and to be frank, we didn't need to know all about him and his history, despite the sympathy. There was no real plot of such and the Torchwood team barely featured. The ending was heartfelt but too religious-like with Eugene's ascension, and as an Atheist I disagree with that depiction. I am just thankful that Eve Myles put in a wonderful performance and my adoration for Gwen was greatly enhanced! She saved this episode from disaster and allowed me to be rather generous with my rating. 

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment