Friday 23 December 2022

Time War: Unity


"To stay here would mean certain death."

Writer: David Llewellyn 
Format: Audio
Released: February 2020
Series: Gallifrey 11.04

Featuring: Romana II, Leela, Narvin

Synopsis 

On a dusty frontier world, destiny awaits Romana...

Betrayal, deception and death are the currency on Unity. And as the Daleks close in on their target, there will be a price to pay.

Verdict

Unity was a decent adventure to conclude the third Gallifreyan volume of Time War and the eleventh series overall! It really has been quite the journey in this spin-off range and it shows no sign of letting up which I am absolutely delighted about. I must admit, I don’t think this latest iteration of the series has quite captured the Time War how I would have imagined it, but this series has been all about the search for Leela. I can’t help but feel slightly let down by events in this episode despite my strong rating as I just felt a little underwhelmed by the reunion between Leela and Romana & Narvin. It didn’t feel like it meant too much after over two series of waiting for confirmation that Leela was alive which was a bit of shame. After the Leela-centric previous episode of Mother Tongue, I really was surprised and disappointed that Leela was once again in an established position in an unfamiliar place and time. It felt repetitive and with Leela choosing to fight the Time War at the end of that episode, I couldn’t understand why she refused to go to Gallifrey where she was needed. That just seemed at odds with what has happened already. In that said, when listening to the episode in isolation and trying not to think of the overall arc, which is very difficult, this was a decent episode! I liked Veega a lot and her being the ill mother who sadly succumbed to her illness was a very powerful moment full of emotion. Leela having not appeared in over two series also provided its own emotion as she learned of what had happened on Gallifrey under Rassilon’s regime and all of the losses endured there. The setting of Unity was really good and I loved the proximity to the Time War with it being a power source for the Daleks. Getting them features was nice and Romana standing up to them was terrific. I thought she had a strong outing here and linking back as far as The Apocalypse Element again with her identifying herself as Unit 117 was fantastic. Romana was growing frustrated throughout though as Leela was not going to come back to Gallifrey and aid with the war effort. She even performed a little tantrum at one point which was very amusing! The extent she was willing to go to in this episode was magnificent to hear though. The dilemma she was in regarding Unity was good as she knew that the Time Lords would destroy the planet if she told them about it, but she couldn’t let the people she had to come know and Leela was protecting just die. The inclusion of the chameleon arch was great use of Gallifreyan technology and Romana seemed prepare to lose who she was in order to ensure Leela would leave. Except, Romana faked the whole thing which didn’t surprise me and Narvin was in on it all along. I look forward to Leela’s outrageous reaction when she finds out that happened as inevitably will be the case! Rayo was a decent character but I was surprised that he would actually join Narvin and Leela in leaving Unity. I’m not sure what kind of future he will have on Gallifrey, but I’m more than willing to give him a chance! He’s certainly different I’ll give it that. I thought the ending with Romana then encountering the Daleks and standing up to them without fear was nicely done and a fine moment for her to shine, but the cliffhanger finish of her being seemingly exterminated was a good surprise. Is a regeneration incoming? I suspect not, but alas it keeps my interest. Overall, a decent episode! 

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment