Friday 7 January 2022

The Lazarus Experiment


"I will change what it means to be human."

Writer: Stephen Greenhorn
Format: TV
Broadcast: 5 May 2007
Series: 3.06

Featuring: Tenth Doctor, Martha

Synopsis

After travelling backwards, forwards and backwards again in time, Martha Jones has returned home. However, before the Doctor can bid farewell to her, he hears Professor Richard Lazarus announcing that he'll change the future of humanity. What could this mean? Could it lead to something far more dangerous than a scientific failure?

Verdict

The Lazarus Experiment was not the greatest of episodes to continue our rewatch through the modern era of Doctor Who and its third series here. In what is quite an extraordinary series as a whole, this one definitely stands out as the worst and not anywhere close to the calibre set by the five episodes before it, and the seven that are to come. I just don't get on with this one for whatever reason, and that's quite ironic given that this was the episode that introduced me to Doctor Who. Prior to 5 May 2007, I had no idea what this incredible show was all about and as I told Gemma, it was on a family caravan holiday where my older cousin had gotten wind that the episode was to be a scary one and with the adults on the holiday preoccupied, it was down to me to keep her company and look after her as the episode aired. And well, for a child at the time I can see how this would be considered scary but as an adult of 24 now looking back I wasn't a huge fan. It just doesn't work as it should do and whilst the idea of unlocking the secrets of the genetics in human DNA is very good, the delivery here was questionable. I really think there could have been a better mutation than having Lazarus turn into a giant crab-like creature. The special effects were questionable to say the least and they really haven't aged well, have they? They were pretty terrible for the monster and even the green screen used on the rooftop to dub in London was shocking. It's a shame to notice things like this now as I never did as a child viewing back in 2007, but green screen is a favoured thing of Gemma and I to pick up on and it was just abundantly clear here. I'm enjoying Martha growing into the companion role and I think it's clear that this was initially written to air before Daleks in Manhattan given that this was where she firmly became a companion for more than just one trip. I wonder why that change was made. Gemma continues to show her dislike of Martha and she had me in stitches with a comment about her look for a black tie event she showed up in a headband and questioned if she was a nine-year-old girl! That had me in hysterics. I thought Martha looked great though! As a whole, this episode is fast paced and does have a pretty good idea at its heart but it just fails for me with the Lazarus monster. It just looks ridiculous and doesn't seem realistic as being human in origin. His reaction to becoming younger and the plans to go commercial were good, and the ease in which he brushes his wife away is shocking. The line about wasting another life on her is undoubtedly the highlight of the episode because it's just so darn brutal. The family dynamic with Tish, Leo and Francine is fun and the Doctor getting slapped by the mother is always amusing. The warning for Francine about the Doctor teases well into the story arc and the mentions of Saxon is excellent continuity. As a whole though, I just can't enjoy much of this episode and the monster really is off-putting. 

Rating: 5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment