Sunday 5 December 2021

Flux: The Vanquishers


"Life must win."

Writer: Chris Chibnall
Format: TV
Broadcast: 05 December 2021
Series: 13.06

Featuring: Thirteenth Doctor, Yaz, Dan

Synopsis

The forces of darkness are in control: but when the monsters have won, there seems to be no one who can be counted upon to save the universe.

Verdict

The Vanquishers was a very good episode to conclude Flux and Series 13! There's still more to come and I think the overall arc regarding the Division and the Doctor's lost memories is far from finished, but for the Flux element that kickstarted the final chapter of the Thirteenth Doctor this was a good conclusion. Now, whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the episode and everything it entailed, I think there was probably a little too much going on for the average fan. I already know I'm going to have to rewatch it when I'm more awake and perhaps when less daddy duties have taken place, as this required concentration because if you blinked you missed something. Given the previous five episodes that led up to this point, there were a lot of threads that needed tying up. There was so much happening and I think frantic is the perfect description. I loved that the Sontarans were taken more seriously than they ever have been before, something that also happened in War of the Sontarans, but I felt they were ridiculed a bit with the chocolate corner shop moment. I thought that was a cheap gag, but it was soon forgotten when their plan to claim dominion over the universe thanks to the Flux was proclaimed. The idea of them offering protection to the Daleks and the Cybermen from the Flux was amusing but having their armies essentially absorbed by the Flux was incredible. I thought the idea was excellent and I just wish there was more time to explore the negotiations between the three parties, but I suspect that may be a consequence of the series being condensed. The interactions between Dan and Karvanista were magnificent and I loved how Dan teased the dog-creature when unlocking him from his cell about not getting a biscuit. Learning more about his past with the Division and particularly the Doctor, where it seemed he was her companion, was intriguing and I really hope we haven't seen the last of him. His brain containing a poison prevention from discussing his days in the Division was good. I thought the use of three split versions of the Doctor was nothing more than cheating, but it was fun and the interaction between two different versions of the Thirteenth Doctor was marvellous. Jodie Whittaker was on form and I loved that she had a crush on herself. Speaking of crushes on the Doctor, I think Yaz's feelings towards the Doctor are clear and I honestly thought they were going to share a physical moment in the TARDIS when the Doctor opened up to her companion. She cares so much for Yaz and she has a great deal going on, and her memories of the Division could wait with the TARDIS protecting them deep within. I enjoyed Claire returning alongside Jericho and utilising their psychic abilities with the Sontarans to find the final Flux event, and the moment where the latter's transport ring was destroyed as the Flux enveloped him was incredibly emotional. Quite the adventure indeed! I loved that Kate got to meet the Thirteenth Doctor and her story concluding with the Grand Serpent was quite fitting alongside Vinder. The suggestion from Kate that she hoped to meet this incarnation again was something I absolutely echo. The way Azure and Swarm were dealt with felt a little quick and convenient as their saviour, mirroring Swarm, was unhappy that the Flux had been contained within Passenger and eradicated the Ravagers. The suggestion that the Doctor's days were coming to an end was terrific and I loved the foreshadowing warning of forces to come and their Master. He just has to return to see off the Thirteenth Doctor! The reunion between Bel and Vinder was nice but I did think they would have more of a connection to wider events. It's nice to have them depart with Karvanista in a Lupari ship though! That was really fun and I hope they can help him through dealing with being the last of his species now. Overall, this was definitely a strong finale but not the strongest episode within the series purely because there was just too much going on. Still, a great watch! 

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment