Wednesday 17 November 2021

Free Speech


"Let us rabbit on."

Writer: Eugenie Pusenjak
Format: Audio
Released: December 2020
Series: Short Trips 10.X

Featuring: Tenth Doctor

Synopsis

On Skaz, speaking costs money.

Aymius Todd is trapped in a police interrogation. They want to know about his links to the Garrulous Liberation, and his encounter with a man called the Doctor. But, Aymius is running out of words, and if he can't afford to finish his story, then he'll never be able to speak again.

Verdict

Free Speech was a good little Short Trips adventure! I'm a big fan of the Paul Spragg Memorial Opportunity and having the chance to write a Doctor Who audio must be a huge privilege for any aspiring writers. I'm a massive fan of the show but I don't think I'd know where to start when it comes to writing a script, but I'm just grateful to get a free adventure! I must admit that I was initially put off within the first few minutes or so of this story starting as it was quickly established that it would be told in the first person. I don't like that approach for prose and I have to say that I wasn't a huge fan of it being the case in audio, but it didn't take away from the story for the most part which is good. Aymius was a decent character as the focal point of the audio and the format of a police interrogation worked excellently. I thought that was a terrific approach and really fed into the way things were recalled. PC Lockett was a good character leading the questioning and he had some amusing thoughts on the story he was presented by Aymius. I thought the setting of Skaz was intriguing and the planet having it customary to pay to speak was a really good concept. There's a lot to play with there and it kind of took the theme of The Sun Makers to the extreme! Aymius being a gardener which didn't garner a high pay was fun as I loved that he was accused of talking a lot lately. You even needed a license to write on this planet which was frightening to think about as I type this blog! Aymius being engaged to Heleyna was nice and I liked the dynamic of her being a rich girl that could even afford to sing. The thought! Aymius being friendly with Marley Evans was good and her heading the Garrulous Liberation provided a good relationship for them. Aymius wanting to get enough money for an engagement ring was nice and Marley needed money for her political movement, so a card game was on the cards which made for some fun moments. The Doctor being thought of as a rich man because of how much he talked was wonderful and I have to say that Jacob Dudman's impression of the Tenth Doctor only felt average. He's much better suited to the Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors in my view. The Doctor getting on a hot streak when playing cards was brilliant and I liked how his big winnings provided the money for Aymius and Marley to get their engagement ring and funds, but they did save his life! Doctor admitting to cheating to beat Gaverett was amusing and then him being in custody was a fun development. Aymius wanting more than to just exist was really good and he wanted more, to make a difference. That made him more likeable. The wedding planning troubles he had with Heleyna were a shame though and I was a little saddened to learn that she had actually dobbed him in! The chip in the voice box switching it off when no money was left was quite the occurrence but the Doctor arriving as legal representation and saving Aymius before disabling the chip was a really nice touch. Him showing how free speech had been achieved after the final speech was a lovely end. Overall, a decent adventure!

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment