Sunday 23 February 2020

Ascension of the Cybermen


"Every empire has its time."

Writer: Chris Chibnall
Format: TV
Broadcast: 23rd February 2020
Series: 12.09

Featuring: Thirteenth Doctor, Yaz, Ryan, Graham

Synopsis

The aftermath of the Great CyberWar. The Doctor arrives in the far future, intent on protecting the last of the human race from the deadly Cybermen. But in the face of such a relentless enemy, has she put her best friends at risk? What terrors lie hiding in the depths of space, and what is Ko Sharmus?

Verdict

Ascension of the Cybermen was an excellent beginning to what looks set to be an explosive Series 12 finale double-header! This episode definitely had a 'part one' feeling and that was absolutely fine because it was a terrific set up. It's fair to say that there are so many questions heading into the final episode and that's exactly what you want. The direction that this story was going in didn't exactly surprise me and I called the cliffhanger long, long before it occurred, but it was just as satisfying when it occurred. I thought the use of the Cybermen was right up there with the very best they have been used in the modern era and I am delighted to be able to say that. The continued leadership of the Lone Cyberman was brilliant, but I do think there should have been some black on his helmet! Other than that, there wasn't a lot wrong with what occurred and I was delighted to find that he was flanked by two Cybus-looking Cybermen. A really great design choice! The designs didn't stop there though as we were introduced to the Cyber Warriors and they looked bloody magnificent. The blend of the Classic era with the modern design was just wonderful and I really liked the image of them all emerging from being dormant on the shuttle ship. There was so much harking back to the Cybermen's history and that also included the use of gold against them which I loved. I wasn't a massive fan of the Cyber Drones because they looked a bit ridiculous, but they served their purpose well. After what was promised, I was expecting a bit more from the number of Cybermen that featured, but that wouldn't have fitted in with the pace which turned out to be one of building to what's to come. Now, I'll get onto the subplot with Brendan who I found intriguing. Surely there was a resemblance to the Lone Cyberman with him or his dad? There was a huge amount going on with him without actually telling us where he fits in. A lone child found alone and then being resurrected in Captain Jack style after being shot off the cliff? My initial theory was that it might be Jack's son, but then the continuity wouldn't fit with Children of Earth so I am stumped. I read a fascinating theory on Twitter in the episode's aftermath that suggests that the Time Lords are descendants of the last of the human race. That fits with the episode and would also tie in with the lie of the Timeless Child which would be incredible. I can't wait to see how Gallifrey fits in with the Cybermen. Ko Sharmus actually being the man at the border pathway was unexpected but I don't know the significance just yet and that leaves me desperate to tune into the finale next week. I hope things go quickly in work! Yaz and Graham being separated and not taking death as an answer was good and I thought they had a strong episode together. Jodie Whittaker was once again superb as the Thirteenth Doctor and it's been clear to see how much she has deteriorated over the course of the series after finding out about Gallifrey. Her telling the companions that they had to listen to her with no questions was telling as she really wasn't being Mrs Nice Guy anymore. She was deadly serious and that showed how threatened she was by the Cybermen. She'd lost a lot to them and now they were in jeopardy. The emergence of the Master from Gallifrey through the portal was excellent and I loved seeing him back again even if I thought it was a guarantee. It has set up the finale wonderfully well and I can't wait for everything to be tied together. Overall, an excellent episode to set things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment