Sunday 5 January 2020

Spyfall Part 2


"Darkness never sustains."

Writer: Chris Chibnall
Format: TV
Broadcast 5th January 2020
Series: 12.02

Featuring: Thirteenth Doctor, Yaz, Ryan, Graham

Synopsis

In part two of this epic spy thriller, a terrifying plan to destroy humanity is about to reach fruition. Can the Doctor and her friends escape multiple traps and defeat a deadly alliance?
[
Verdict

Spyfall concluded in terrific fashion with a fantastic, but very different, second part! I was a little surprised to find in the DWM preview that part two would have a different director and I think that was evident when watching as it had quite a changed feeling. That was absolutely fine though and the story flowed very well and developed considerably. I really enjoyed Lenny Henry as Daniel Barton once again and I very much liked that he could return in the future. There were clear reminders of The Sound of Drums in this episode with the three companions being on the run similar to the way the Tenth Doctor, Martha and Captain Jack had to flea from the Master in 2007. It was also terrific to get the Time Lord heartbeat rhythm as a way for the Doctor to contact her arch nemesis. Sacha Dhawan was simply incredible as the Master and I absolutely adored how desperate he was to get one over on the Doctor. He seemed to be on breaking point and his reaction when he discovered that the Doctor had actually survived the plane crash was brilliant. He was on the point of mental collapse which is just a fantastic personality trait and emotional standpoint for the Master. I do hope we get a quick return because he was just sublime. This was a hugely impressive debut for a new incarnation of the Master. He's my favourite villain/enemy in Doctor Who's history and it appears we have another stellar incarnation. His relationship with the Kasavin was interesting and I loved the Doctor's reaction when she found out the Master wasn't in control. She was tremendous throughout once again as the Thirteenth Doctor. I'm loving her incarnation very much and throwing some ancient mythology in for her is extremely exciting. The resolution of the cliffhanger with the aeroplane crashing was a lot of fun and I loved the scene where Graham tumbled down the aisle. I could probably have done with a bit less of the sky gadgets, but the plan where they intended on being tracked down was really good and one I didn't see coming. The journey through time was exciting and it was just wonderful to have the Master taking on some different disguises. The moment he burst into 1834 and showcased his shrinkage device was faultless and the look he gave the Doctor when killing his final target was horrifying. The idea of the Master being a Nazi leader was also magnificent and the Doctor's reaction said it all. I loved the Aryan mention, but he was of course using a perception filter. I thought the Kasavin echoed the Cybermen in Army of Ghosts and with Barton's speech, I was half expecting them to be a surprise reveal! The actual plan in rewriting DNA was good and I quite enjoyed how the Doctor was able to cheat a bit by using the Master's TARDIS. Now, speaking of that TARDIS itself I thought the design was really great. I loved that he had one at all and him revealing what had occurred on Gallifrey was very exciting. The Doctor couldn't resist the urge to go home and have a look and the image of Gallifrey in ruins was quite daunting given how far removed the Time War is. The Master was defeated by his own good and the Doctor's recording revealing that he was always going to betray the alliance, but the temporal message that told that Gallifrey's damage was the Master's doing was quite something. Exploring the Founding Fathers of the Time Lord race is hugely exciting and the Doctor's role will be very intriguing. Is she the Timeless Child? I would possibly point to yes going back to The Ghost Monument, but maybe she just has knowledge? I can't wait to find out! I really liked that the companions got to question the Doctor of who she is and they seemed happy enough with her response. I am excited for things going forward and that's exactly what you want from a series opener. Great stuff.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment