Monday 30 September 2019

The Stealers From Saiph


"You shall see that the stars are not shining properly."

Writer: Nigel Robinson
Format: Audio
Released: June 2009
Series: Companion Chronicles 3.12

Featuring: Fourth Doctor, Romana I

Synopsis

It's 1929, and the TARDIS crew is holidaying in Antibes. While the Doctor practises his painting, Romana attempts to fend off the playful advance of young Tommy Creighton. All is peaceful and idyllic except for the portentous warning of astrologer Madame Arcana, and the fact that personal items are being stolen from the hotel's guests.

What is the secret of the cave on the beach? And why do some of Romana's new acquaintances suddenly behave so strangely? As her newfound socialite existence suddenly takes a turn into danger, Romana finds that the whole planet Earth is faced with a deadly threat...

Verdict

The Stealers From Saiph was sadly a pretty bang average Companion Chronicle story! I was quite glad that I got to listen to this one for free on Scribd as I really did struggle to get engaged with it. Admittedly, I am not the biggest fan of the first incarnation of Romana and whilst Mary Tamm's narration was fine, I didn't find her all that exciting. I think that was a bit of an issue for the story as a whole to be honest. It just lacked exciting and needed that big moment to happen or for something good to be led to, but it just never came in my opinion. It was a little odd in that we got no context of why or where or how Romana was telling this story and it was only Tamm as the actress for the entire audio! I definitely think she could have been aided by another cast member. Surely it would have been better if Tommy was played by somebody else? I was a little disappointed with how little the Doctor featured and whilst I know he isn't needed much in this range, I felt the story would have benefitted if he was referred to more. I felt like where he was featured, Tamm could have at least tried to impersonate the Fourth Doctor as I think one criticism I would have is that this adventure lacked the feeling of a tale during his era. Now don't get me wrong, it definitely worked well for its setting of 1929 and I liked the idea of cave exploration and all the dangers that can come with that, but for all it was set out to be it just had the feeling of something I can only describe as Downton Abbey. I get that comes with the setting itself, but on a personal level that is something I'm just not a fan of so I struggled to get into this adventure. I did enjoy the cave exploration and the links with Saiph, but I think the damage was already done by that point. I actually quite welcomed the cliffhanger so I could have a little break as I had forgotten that the Companion Chronicles can be two parts. I didn't think it was the greatest of endings though. Part two certainly seemed to start somewhat weirdly as well. Madama Arcana was an intriguing character and I felt like her relationship with the Doctor could have been explored a bit more. The use of personal links and small items going missing from people's hotel rooms was pretty decent, if not a little predictable when it came to the handkerchief that Romana had parted with the night previously. Something I would like to be followed up on with this TARDIS pairing is the idea of Romana conducting a thesis on the Doctor. We had that mention in The Ribos Operation and even though it has been an eternity since I listened to The Auntie Matter, I do plan on making my way through the second series of Fourth Doctor Adventures with this pair and hopefully my opinion changes on this incarnation of the companion. Sadly, this audio did not do much to alter my feelings but I am aware I'm being slightly unfair as I have only watched the Key to Time season once, barring the first story, and that was seven years ago. Romana's role in the story was actually pretty good, but I would have liked to have seen some more Time Lady sophistication. Overall, a somewhat decent but unspectacular adventure.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment