Saturday 17 November 2018

The Warmonger Part 2


"This city... it was beautiful. Now it's in pieces."

Writer: Scott Gray
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 15th November 2018
Printed in: DWM 532

Featuring: Thirteenth Doctor, Yaz, Ryan, Graham

Synopsis

The destruction of Gatan continues as Kraytus and Tumat obliterate each other in any way they can. Yaz is struggling to keep Tondi safe while Ryan and Graham have been taken to the mysterious Eye Above. There they find out the truth of what's going on on Gatan, and the Doctor will meet someone who knows all about her history...

Verdict

The Warmonger continued in very good style with a more than decent second part of the story! More of it in a minute but as for the issue of DWM itself, it looks set to be a very good read once again. I haven't actually managed to finish the previous issue yet as I'm a little bit behind but that can't be helped when you're studying for a Masters, play for the university darts team and have a girlfriend! But I try. Anyway, the previews of the episodes are always something I enjoy reading at this time of year in DWM and I am hugely intrigued by the titles, especially the season finale's. It's just not what you would expect but I guess that has been the remit of Series 11. Reading the thoughts on the latest episodes to air will also be of keen interest to me in both Galaxy Forum and the DWM Review and I'm very interested to see how my opinions conflict with those of other fans. I'm quite surprised that the Time Team will be covering the Thirteenth Doctor so soon and honestly, I'm not sure the new format has worked overly effectively with the use of pop songs last month. Bernard Cribbins is a wonderful guest to have for the Out of the TARDIS feature which is always a great read and I'm also looking forward to reading about more of the staff that have helped make the latest batch of episodes that will soon air. The TARDIS Revolution feature also looks to be a terrific read and that is something I will be eagerly anticipating! I'll have to finish last month's issue pronto. Now, back to the comic strip itself and I thought it continued very well. I liked how the first page gave us a snippet into the thinking of the Doctor with her rapid calculations being rather impressive. I liked how evenly this part was split between Team TARDIS (yes, I am continuing to dub them that now after they themselves called them it on TV) and Ryan and Graham being taken to The Eye Above was really intriguing. Kraytus and Tumat had ravaged the city to pieces and it was all part of an intergalactic broadcast. Yaz protecting Tondi was lovely to see and I liked how the Doctor was trying to keep Gorny calm but didn't get very far in succeeding. The cliffhanger ending was very good and unexpected but I like how it keeps continuity across the comic strip format despite the change of Doctor. I think that's a positive move to make. The emergence of Berakka Dogbolter thanks to Sandola was very good and I look forward to things proceeding from here! Overall, a very good continuation of the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment