Monday 27 August 2018

The Clockwise War Part 6


"Your hands are red and dripping."

Writer: Scott Gray
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 23rd August 2018
Printed in: DWM 529

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Bill

Synopsis

Fey Truscott-Sade cannot be stopped and she is on a mission to destroy the Doctor and the Time Lords. The Doctor cannot stand alone and has called upon his own people. But with the might of the Clockwise Men backing Fey and her deranged nephew, will the Doctor's alliance be enough to save Gallifrey?

Verdict

The Clockwise War continued in decent fashion with this sixth part and things are certainly taking their time and with the arrival of the Thirteenth Doctor, I do hope things come to a close quickly. This is now the longest comic strip story I have read with only being able to do each part every month and I think making a story more than six parts is just a little too long to be honest. Thankfully, the comic strip is very good though! Now, I haven't read any of the magazine this month but I am once again very impressed with the subscriber exclusive cover with new companions Yasmin and Ryan featuring before they have even debuted. I'm looking forward to their feature in the magazine this month and it'll be great to get some insight on the making of Series 11. Speaking of which, the detailed feature on the writers for the upcoming series should be very good and helpful in seeing what potentially is in store for our brand new Doctor. I'm excited by that and I've caught a glimpse of the editor's column this month and I'm intrigued to read the comments about the new Time Team. That should be very interesting given the backlash that was received. Lisa Bowerman is another good candidate for the Out of the TARDIS feature and I'm also looking forward to Hide being the subject of the Fact of Fiction this month as I think that's quite an underrated episode in the Eleventh Doctor's era. The Harper's Bizarre and Ice Magic segments should also be good reads but I must admit I'm surprised to see the Cosplay feature remaining a monthly thing. Surely it can't be of use to much of the magazine's readership? I do hope it is shunned soon. Anyway, back to the comic strip itself and it was good to get some development on Alexander Truscott and his connection with the Clockwise Men. Fey having given him the ability to use some shadow energies was intriguing but I found the idea of all the CCTV cameras actually being parts of Shayde hugely shocking. I'm looking forward to seeing how he will be used but Alexander wanting to destroy the Time Lords after realising how small he was in the universe was a little baffling. He did learn of the Time War though so that probably explains his motives. The characterisation of the Twelfth Doctor was fantastic in this comic strip and I loved it when he knew that General Kenossium was present with Reeves and |Totika close behind. The latter pair's reaction to 2018 London was terrific but just what use they'll be to the Doctor remains unknown. I thought the cliffhanger was good with Fey preparing a war against the Time Lords, seemingly with an army of all those that have been done wrong by them. The Doctor won't allow it to happen though and if his reaction to finding out that it was Alexander who set Fey slightly deranged is anything to go by, it could be quite an explosive conclusion! Overall, a good continuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment