Tuesday 10 July 2018

Unearthly Things


"I'm not your usual kind of doctor."

Writer: George Mann
Format: Comic Strip
Released: September 2015
Printed in: The Twelfth Doctor 1.11

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara

Synopsis

Fresh from their adventures in Las Vegas, the Doctor and Clara are eager for a change of scenery, but their next destination aboard the TARDIS will prove a shocking change of pace!

Verdict

Unearthly Things was an excellent comic strip adventure and one I was delighted to finally read! For some unknown and stupendous reason, the original run of the Twelfth Doctor's first year of comic stories printed in Doctor Who Comic skipped over this little gem of a story. I was quite angry at the time and did mention it in the blog entry for the following story but with going to university and my life changing quite drastically, I forgot all about it until recent research. Sadly, I could not justify paying the full price for a graphic novel so an extended stay in WH Smith meant I finally completed the Twelfth Doctor's first year! It was a wonderful story from start to finish and I really liked the 1845 setting of Derbyshire. I seem to enjoy anything that's not London-based and the arrival of the TARDIS into this adventure was quite humorous. Charlotte was a wonderful character alongside Ellen and they weren't all that impressed with the Doctor and Clara's arrival causing Charlotte to have a twisted ankle. She quickly forgave the Doctor though and actually created a terrific relationship with him. Speaking of relationships, I thought the one between the Doctor and Clara was very good here and captured the atmosphere of their run on television together very well. It was impressive and I thought the characterisation of both was superb. This was a rare occasion where I was dipping back into the Twelfth Doctor's era and I rather enjoyed it.  Marlborough was a very good character and his encounters with the Doctor were great. You could tell that he knew a little more than he was letting on and the quickness with which he revealed his ulterior motive at the party was quite a surprise, but a good one. The pace of the comic strip was outstanding and I really liked how much happened considering this was only a one-part story. The reveal of the Aranox was nicely done and I thought the appearance was terrific and somewhat reminiscent of the Titravores. The Doctor knowing of them was good and he didn't really seem to have a problem disposing of the threat but the emotion behind him doing so was strong. The Aranox burned horribly to death and Clara tried telling the Doctor that there was no other way but he was only sorry. The comic strip's conclusion with the reveal that Charlotte was actually Charlotte Bronte was magnificent and I loved the Doctor's reaction to the revelation. Overall, a fantastic little comic strip! I'm delighted to finally have had the chance to read it.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment