Friday 22 December 2017

The Phantom Piper Part 2


"They worshipped me, and I love it."

Writer: Scott Gray
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 14th December 2017
Printed in: DWM 520

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Bill

Synopsis

The TARDIS is screaming. Alan Turing has gone missing. Only Chiyoko knows where he can be found. The Doctor needs the help of the famed decoder to work out who has hurt his beloved time machine. The Children of Turing are on the upsurge and this is causing unrest amongst the human population. Will they be able to find Turing and fix the TARDIS, or will a galactic riot ensue first?

Verdict

The Phantom Piper continued in very good fashion with this great second part of the story! More of that in a second though as, just a week or so late this month, I will look ahead to the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine and it certainly looks to be a great read. This will of course be the last issue with Peter Capaldi being the current Doctor as we look forward to his epic regeneration this Christmas and I'm very excited to read the preview for Twice Upon A Time. I really cannot wait to see the First Doctor return and I'm anticipating David Bradley's performance very much. I think the interviews with Mark Gatiss and Earl Cameron will be very good but one of the best things this issue will surely be the interview with Pearl Mackie. The Christmas Special will almost certainly be her last appearance in the show, at least on television, and I'm looking forward to reading what she has to say about her character's departure. I'm intrigued to see how she returns following the conclusion of World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls and another feature I'm looking forward to this issue is the one entitled A Metebelis Christmas. Looking back at Classic Doctor Who is wonderful and with the Christmas Special being taken for granted now, it's interesting to think how this was not the case before 2005 so I'm intrigued to read about Doctor Who's Christmas in 1974. There looks to be heavy coverage of the recently released animation of Shada and I really am delighted that this story is finally going to have some form of completion. It is the most ironic story as although it was incomplete, it probably now has the most variations and formats of story. It'll be interesting to read why this was chosen for the latest animation and even if it only occurs annually, I do hope a brand new animation of a lost story continues to happen. Here's hoping The Evil of the Daleks is next up for restoration. The First Lady feature looks set to be a good little read and with this festive edition of the magazine, I'm looking forward to the Christmas quiz - I do like to test my knowledge! Galaxy Forum and the DWM Review are always good and I'm always eager to know what is Coming Soon. Anyway, onto the comic strip itself and I thought it was a good continuation of the first part. That ended well and even though Chiyoko's anger was eradicated very quickly, I really enjoyed her role in the story. She developed a good relationship with Bill and I liked how they wanted to work together to help the TARDIS. I am still quite shocked by the whole Children of Turing movement this far into the future but I am looking very forward to his imminent arrival in the story. The Doctor injecting his own voice into the holo-statue of Turing was a nice touch and I liked how Maggie thanked him for helping to prevent a riot. Moxham was a great character and I love how he's so anti-Galatean. I'm looking forward to his continued role in the comic adventure and I also really liked Ranesh. I thought the ending was pretty good and the intrigue of King's College London being on the Moon really has me thinking. The doubt held by Delphi over the Turing speaking is excellent and I'm looking very forward to the next part and seeing just how dangerous these stone hands are! Overall, a terrific continuation!

No comments:

Post a Comment