Wednesday 22 November 2017

Something Inside




















"We're always escaping from inescapable things."

Writer: Trevor Baxendale
Format: Audio
Released: June 2006
Series: Main Range 83

Featuring: Eighth Doctor, Charley, C'rizz

Synopsis


WARNING
YOU ARE ABOUT TO ENTER THE CUBE

ALL FORMS OF TELEPATHY ARE PROHIBITED.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TELEPORTATION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

PHYSIC POWERS WILL BE FORCIBLY REMOVED

(MENTAL SURGERY IS COMPULSORY)

CAUTION
YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS

YOU HAVE NO POWERS

YOU HAVE NO DEFENCE

YOU ARE NOW INSIDE THE CUBE

Verdict

Something Inside was an excellent audio adventure and continues the recent (in terms of the position that I have been listening) high quality of the Main Range of Big Finish audios. It was wonderful to be listening to a feature-length story again and it really has felt quite some time since I was last able to do so. Being reunited with the Eighth Doctor, Charley and C'rizz excited me before I even began listening and I love the unknown surrounding this trio as at the time of release, it was the newest form of Doctor Who and just about anything can happen. Although I never believed that C'rizz was truly dead, there was nothing that could have prevented it from happening and I think that is a very exciting prospect. With companions before Ace, we know how they arrived and departed the TARDIS so they can't really die anywhere in Big Finish but these characters are new and anything can happen. I thought the story was brilliant and the telepathic theme was terrific. It really worked well and I liked how its weaknesses were explored. Charley getting frustrated at constantly having her thoughts read was entertaining and I also liked her determination and refusal to believe that the Doctor and C'rizz had been killed by the Brain-Worm. That threat was a good one for the story and when it appeared to be ruthless during the early stages, it actually turned out to be rather emotional. The Brain-Worm wanted to escape the prison that was the Cube and that was met with some sympathy but its dangerousness was clearly visible and that needed to be stopped. The Doctor having to deal with memory loss was good and I liked how he even when he didn't know who C'rizz was, he would risk himself to ensure that an apparent stranger was not met with harm. That came a little too late though as our Utermisan was met with torture and was quite badly hurt, on the brink of death. That's where the Doctor needed the help of Tessa to heal him but that would be met with obstacles. It turned out the Brain-Worm was supplanted inside her head and with the Doctor needing to join his mind to hers, it provided an avenue of transference for our mutated telepathic being. I thought Paul McGann was excellent throughout this audio and I really am loving the Eighth Doctor on audio. I'm very excited by just how much more of his stuff I have to catch up on. Charley was fantastic as per usual and I continue to be intrigued by C'rizz. There definitely appears to be more than meets the eye and his concern over whether his thoughts had been read was of particular interest to me. Just what is he hiding? Latch was a very good character and his sacrifice at the story's conclusion was admirable. The Brain-Worm was inside his head so he decided to remain in the Cube alone where it could not escape and would ultimately die when he did. Charley was quite appalled by that but was grateful for survival. The moment of the audio for me came when the Doctor recalled the infamous 2005 European Cup final when Liverpool came from 3-0 down at half-time to win the trophy for a fifth time. The idea of the Doctor being there and possibly supporting the same team as me is very exciting and that recollection and how he used to inspire his companions not to give up put a huge smile on my face I must say. I don't think there are many fans of both Doctor Who and football out there but I am a huge one of both and that moment was really special for me. Overall, a terrific story!

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment