Saturday 24 June 2017

World Enough and Time


"Is your real name Doctor Who?"

Writer: Steven Moffat
Format: TV
Broadcast: 24th June 2017
Series: 10.11

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Bill, Nardole

Synopsis

Had we but world enough and time, / This cosyness, lady, were no crime. / We would sit down, and think which way / To walk, and pass our long love's day...
          But at my back I always hear / Time's winged chariot hurrying near; / And yonder all before us lie / Deserts of vast eternity. / The beauty shall no more be found; / Nor, in thy marble Vault, shall sound / My echoing song...

Verdict 

World Enough and Time was a stunning episode of Doctor Who which has kicked off the finale of this tenth season in terrific style! I must admit that this episode is one I have been looking forward to for a very long time and the prospect of the Mondasian Cybermen returning for the first time in over half a century was simply incredible to me. And yet this episode served as the basis for that return. This episode was eery and the pace matched the atmosphere superbly which was a huge bonus. The idea of the Doctor wanting to place Missy in a situation to test whether or not she actually was good was really intriguing but I was quite surprised that the Doctor would allow that, especially with Bill and Nardole at her mercy. His explanation of her being the only person close to what he is like was rather emotional and the talk of the days in the Academy between the Doctor and the Master was excellent. I loved the Doctor's mentioning of Gallifrey being far beyond the civilisation of Earth when it came to genders but Bill's return of the species being called Time Lords was spectacular. I loved that. Before I forget, because it wasn't addressed at any other point in the episode, the pre-credits scene was astonishing! The Doctor was regenerating and the circumstances seemed very similar to The Tenth Planet. I do hope this is something that we see picked up in the conclusion of this episode next week and it has got me wondering whether or not we'll get an early regeneration. I wouldn't rule it out but I'd say it's highly unlikely. The play on the Doctor's real name actually being Doctor Who was quite comical and I liked the ambiguity surrounding it. I was firmly on Bill's side when it comes to his name simply being the Doctor but the fact that Missy was being humorous when saying it, along with the Doctor's comments about her teasing, gives some ambiguity and I'm sure it'll please a large section of the fanbase whilst not appeasing any of it. It also gives The War Machines a bit of credibility which is terrific. Bill getting shot at the early stages of the episode came as a big shock I must say and with the size of the wound that simply obliterated right through her, it seemed inconceivable that she would survive. But that's where we were wrong, she would be repaired. The colonist ship had all the appearances of it being from Earth but the delay in revealing that it was actually from Mondas was sublime. I loved it. I had worked it out relatively early on but that's because it hadn't really been kept a secret. Michelle Gomez was as wonderful as ever as Missy and her battle with herself not to kill anybody was a joy to watch. The concept of time dilation was a very interesting one and I liked how time for the Doctor and co was minimal compared to what Bill had gone through. She was playing a patient game waiting for the Doctor and it would ultimately cost her her life. The moment she was taken to be upgraded thanks to a deception from the mysterious Razor was saddening but that character would soon put a huge smile on my face. His encounter with Missy was incredible and the idea of the Master returning to his infamous disguises was most welcomed. I loved the line about him being the former Prime Minister and his worries for his future were fantastic. The prospect of an episode with two incarnations of the Master is beyond exciting and their role in the genesis of the Cybermen seems even more astonishing. The implication that Bill could be the first ever Cyberman was incredible and the reasoning for their tear duct symbol on the design literally made my jaw drop. It was full of emotion and surprise and I also love how with this being a colony ship, it doesn't really dispute the events of Spare Parts either. I'm not sure where things are left for the finale but the image of the Master, Missy and a Mondasian Cyberman that was once Bill will live long in my memory. A sensational cliffhanger! I look very forward to the story concluding next week.


2 comments:

  1. I remember.
    Byll was a jerk to refuse to show decency on Missy. Revenge poisons.
    A return from the Saxon MAster and the Tenth Planet Cyebrmen. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's some ideas this gave me:

    1. Byll would be shock to find the Lumiat who she befriend was the Master. She'd ask Rose if she'd survive. But Rose asks her why she cares and uses her own terirble words she said about Missy on her. Byll would be shock and whimper how Rose use her own words on her, to which Rose says 'Needs must' and mention how simialr to the Master and the Daleks she act with her prejurdyce. She can also point out humans far from be god who choose if anyone should survive or die.

    2. Jack Harkness's choice to use people to lure out Cybermen forge by Soviets base on Mondasian oens backfires when Ivoc, a nice Soviet scientist, becomes one as Byll. And some companions who befriend ehr get upset. Instead of rejecting ehr, they accept her and cry for how Jack treat her.

    ReplyDelete