Monday 13 February 2017

Selfie


"Cosplayer? Photobombed? These words are just noise.'

Writers: George Mann & Cavan Scott
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 16th December 2016
Printed in: DWC: Tales from the TARDIS 14

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara

Synopsis

When the Twelfth Doctor and Clara turn up at San Diego Comic-Con, a quick selfie outside the TARDIS reveals an alien threat among the con-goers and cosplayers! The green-skinned Lady of Neverness can only be viewed through mirrors, photos and quantum snapshots, and has turned up in the background of photos all over the convention! But if enough people view her at the same time, she'll gain the power to breach into our dimension... to feed on the life-force of the whole planet! Can the Doctor and Clara defeat her and save the day?

Verdict

Selfie was an excellent little bonus comic strip story and it was very nice to be back doing something Doctor Who! I think it is safe to say that this is the longest break I have ever had from blogging since I started in late 2013 but it was absolutely necessary with a relentless run of assignments at university. Thankfully I now have a little gap of nothing much to do and with a much needed week at home I am able to slowly get back on track and Doctor Who Comic was the obvious place to start. It is now mid-February and I am only now blogging a story from December's issue which is just very unlike me. I'm hoping to get up to date relatively quickly as they don't take long to read and I'll soon be updated with two issues already released since this one, one of which I am yet to purchase. I am back for now but I expect to be taking another break later in the month as the assignments build up again. The placement of this story in the Twelfth Doctor's DWC run was a little sketchy but I guess it was released at Christmas so there was no real harm done. I am grateful to be able to read it as following my reading, I discovered it was originally a San Diego Comic-Con exclusive story and the odds of me ever going there are very slim I must say. The concept of the story surrounding a selfie was very good and I liked just how well it worked. At half the length of a usual comic strip adventure from DWC, it definitely didn't seem out of place which was a real positive. I thought the pace was exciting and I liked how in a 'bonus' story the plot was actually very good and made logical sense. The threat of the Lady of Neverness was brilliant and I liked the brief history that we got surrounding her. The characterisation of the Twelfth Doctor was superb with Peter Capaldi's likeness wonderfully captured. This is the first blog I have done since the announcement that he will be leaving the role following the next series and I must say that is a great shame but I am always excited for a new Doctor to debut. I look forward to seeing how that plays out and I'm sure that given time the Thirteenth Doctor will appear in this comic's pages. Clara was good in this story and I liked how she was delighted to be at the San Diego Comic-Con. The Doctor was, ironically, so out of place and he just couldn't grasp the concept of his surroundings which was terrific. He did though have enough mental stability to send the Lady of Neverness back to the other side of Time and keep the planet safe for another 1,021 years at least. Overall, a terrific little story and it's good to be back!

Rating: 9/10





No comments:

Post a Comment