Monday 26 December 2016

Be Forgot


"It's Christmas Eve. Not everything's an alien plot with monsters."

Writer: Mark Wright
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 15th December 2016
Printed in: DWM 507

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Jess

Synopsis

It's the Christmas season and the Doctor is still stuck in the 1970s and is still living with Jessica Collins and her family. The TARDIS shows no sign of turning up which leaves the Doctor stranded and not even Christmas is going to cheer him up. How about a Christmas mystery and the possibility of aliens? Danger usually wakes him up and it seems there's a case right on his doorstep...

Verdict

Be Forgot was a very decent little comic strip that served as Doctor Who Magazine's own festive special. It is usually the norm for DWM's comic story in the Christmas issue to celebrate the theme of the month and I think it's what probably should be done. Now. I'll get to the comic strip itself shortly but as per usual for my blogging of the DWM comic strip, I'd like to talk about the magazine itself as a whole. It's a bumper issue at 100 pages long and thankfully the price remained at what is now the normal £5.99. I must admit I have been thinking twice about purchasing the magazine in future with this price rise and I must say that it is quite a hefty amount of money for a magazine. I don't understand why it is so much but I think I will continue to collect it for the time being but I think there might come a time in 2017 where I pack it in which will be a real shame. The issue though looks a good one and I must say that I have actually read quite a bit of it already with it having been out for over a week now. We were given another stupidly humongous poster and I really don't understand why they are so big and I usually just end up giving them to my younger cousin who I have mentioned in a few blogs in the past. I really liked all the previews of The Return of Doctor Mysterio which of course aired yesterday and it really did get me excited for the Christmas Special. We had a lengthy preview along with interviews from Matt Lucas and Justin Chatwin which were great. Steven Moffat's monthly column was terrific and I liked how every question was about him leaving the show. His answers were very comically and he links it all together very nicely but we've still got a year left of him yet as he was ever so keen to remind us! I thought the feature on The Feast of Steven, which was of course episode 7 of The Daleks' Master Plan, was excellent and it really did shed light on some of its details. I had no idea that the story was initially intended to be half of its actual length and the way they overcame the Christmas Day airing was superb. I am yet to read Galaxy Forum which is quite unusual for me but I am looking forward to seeing what some readers have to say about the animation of The Power of the Daleks. I'm sure I'll end up using some of my Christmas money to purchase that but I do hope it gets positive views! Is it possible that it can't? The review of 2016 will be an intriguing read as there wasn't any Doctor Who on our screens before yesterday but I am looking forward to the 'Power of the Doctor' feature. That looks a very good read. Now, back to the comic strip itself and I must say I am quite surprised at how long the Twelfth Doctor is spending stranded with Jessica Collins and her family. He keeps finding alien intervention which is rather lucky but then Doctor just didn't seem himself which was odd having just watched fourteen episodes in a row where he was very rather different. The plot was actually pretty good and I thought the story of Walter was quite a sad one. I'm sure it was no coincidence that there was a comic appearance with a certain Christmas episode looming and I like the links that can be found between the televised and comic strip formats. The danger turned out to be non-existent which was interesting but I am intrigued to see how long this story arc of the Doctor being stranded lasts. I don't think it'll be too long with Bill on the horizon. Overall though, a very good comic strip!

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment