Wednesday 5 October 2016

The Twist Part 3


"They need to be stopped. Destroyed like the vermin they are..."

Writer: George Mann 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 22nd September 2016
Printed in: DWC: Tales from the TARDIS 11

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Hattie

Synopsis 

He's seen the universe begin and end – and now all of time and space is his plaything. When there are innocents to save, vistas to savour, and a complete lack of savoir to faire, the Twelfth Doctor will be there to challenge dictators, change the fate of whole worlds, and discover secrets hidden for millennia!

Verdict 

The Twist concluded in excellent style with this terrific third and final part! George Mann didn't disappoint with his Twelfth Doctor story and with him being a superb writer, I never thought he would. But there's always that slight possibility of things not going right and thankfully there were no such worries here. The continuation from the cliffhanger of part two probably could have been slightly improved as I'm not a great lover of a part jumping ahead in time from the cliffhanger of the previous issue. The resolutions to the cliffhanger are always a good way to start a comic strip that is mid-way through the story as you can be instantly into the thick of the action but I must say that Mann did a good job of doing whilst jumping ahead from the cliffhanger. I reread the first two parts last night before reading the brand new (to me) instalment this afternoon which also brought an end to my reading of this month's issue of Doctor Who Comic. It won't be long again now before the next issue but I do hope that now I've settled back into my university routine that I'll be picking the next issues up on release day. I've mentioned it in my blog entries of parts one and two but the artwork in this story has been phenomenal and it continues here which was fantastic to see. I really have been impressed with the work of Mariano Laclaustra and I hope future artwork is continued by this tremendous artist. The characterisation of the Twelfth Doctor was once again very good with Peter Capaldi's likeness being expertly captured in print. The continuation of the plot was good and the revelation surrounding the Foxkin and the death of Idra was unexpected I must say. However, it did seem that the Doctor had worked it all out a long time ago which fascinated, but did not surprise, me. The bio-mechanical eye of Jakob's was all he needed for confirmation and when they were locked in the cell, the Doctor got his proof. The relationship between the Doctor and Hattie was very good although I must say that I am a little surprised that she has become a brand new and original companion. With Bill's arrival on screen not too far away, I expected the second year of Twelfth Doctor comic adventures to see him riding solo but that's clearly not the case as he invited the talented musician for just one trip. Well, we all know how often the Doctor sticks to that promise. I think she'll be around for a while now which is fine because I've liked her in this story but she doesn't seem like a companion. However, I think that could work in her favour. I liked how she was on the side of the Doctor when it came to understanding why the Foxkin locked them up and she could sympathise which certainly couldn't be said of Jakob. But we later learned why that was. He was actually the one who murdered Idra because she was going to reveal the truth about the history of the colonists on the Twist and he didn't want to believe that he descended from the hands of a fox. He loathed them but he would soon have to live with them as the Doctor, Hattie and the rest of the band put on one hell of a show to introduce the Foxkin to the colony. They were the ones that saved the humans when their mission failed all those years ago and rather than live in hiding with their secret, an anti-establishment of the Foxkin helped the Doctor get the truth out there. I loved how well received the Doctor was on his guitar and he was having a brilliant time but he seemed to succeed with the Foxkin where he's failed so many times previously with the Silurians. In saying that though, it wouldn't at all surprise me if we have a future story returning to the Twist a few years after this adventure is set where the harmonious living conditions have gone sour. But for now, it's peaceful and this was an excellent end to what has been a fantastic story!

Rating: 9/10








No comments:

Post a Comment