Sunday 11 September 2016

The Twist Part 2


"What does a fox do when it's cornered? It fights."

Writer: George Mann 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 25th August 2016
Printed in: DWC: Tales from the TARDIS 10

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor

Synopsis 



Verdict 

The Twist continued in terrific style with this very good second part of the story. It brings an end to my reading of the latest issue of Doctor Who Comic's Tales from the TARDIS but it won't be too long before I'm reading the next issue. That reading will probably take back at university and that scares me slightly because time is quite simply flying by. This story served as less of a struggle to reread with just the one previous part and there's also no apparent story arc spreading across the range with the Twelfth Doctor stories following Clara's departure from the comics after she was written out last year in Face the Raven and Heaven Sent/Hell Bent. Hattie has been filling in for her in the companion role in this story so far and I'm quite liking her. I'm not sure she has the potential to become a companion for the rest of the second year of stories but I'm liking her whilst she's here. Her appearance is certainly a contrast to the traditional companion and that might be appealing to some and whilst I'm not objected to someone like her becoming companion, I'd rather go with the safe and conventional option. Jakob is a good character and I liked how he reacted to getting some sort of confirmation about what he was researching regarding the Fox-like creatures. The Doctor helped confirm that by getting into some places he wasn't supposed to with the sonic screwdriver. There really was quite a lot of exploration of the Twist in this part which was magnificent and I was once again mightily impressed with the artwork. It really was outstanding. I'm loving that George Mann is writing as he is a superb writer and I hope that he pens some more stories in the future. The history of the Twist being explored was excellent and I thought it was explained very well indeed. In a comic strip explanation can sometimes be a problem but that was no issue in this story which was good to see. Things can be quite pacy and I must admit I have been a little surprised with how big some of the artwork has been, taking up two pages at a time on some occasions with just one bubble of speech. That seems strange to me but I guess it does show the scale of things and I'd imagine that was the intention but it does take up an awful lot of space. Canek was good and I'm intrigued by the fact that the original colonists, or those that were at least intended to be the colonists, all died and that the Foxkin took over and cloned the current colonists' ancestors from the dead. I found it interesting that it was all kept secret and with the Doctor, Hattie and Jakob now knowing the truth about the Twist, they would not be allowed to return. They could stay where they were in isolation or enjoy a quick death. I'm not too sure I would appreciate having to make a choice like that but it certainly served as a good cliffhanger. Overall, another good part of the story and the advancement of the adventure was very good. I'm looking forward to seeing things continue in the next part.








No comments:

Post a Comment