Tuesday 2 February 2016

Conversion Part 2


"The Entity with the might of a Cyberman army... an army that now shows you what your heart wants most as they attack."

Writer: Rob Williams 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 28th January 2016
Printed in: DWC 2.05

Featuring: Eleventh Doctor, Alice, Jones, ARC

Synopsis

Jones is lost within the Entity. TARDIS is sulking. And the Doctor is all out of ideas... Together with Constantine Augustus they have to face an unstoppable army... An army that can use your deepest desires and turn them against you!

Verdict 

Conversion concluded in excellent style with this brilliant second part of the comic strip adventure! I thoroughly enjoyed this story I must say though I probably should admit that I did not know it was ending after just two parts. I'm not sure why, but I had gotten it into my head that this story was a full five-part whammy of a first year finale for the Eleventh Doctor but evidently that is not the case. It's not a problem at all and in fact I'm actually glad that we're going to be getting another story in this ongoing run of adventures and what will surely be the conclusion of the year long story arc involving SERVEYOUinc. It's been quite the ride and with this much effort put in across numerous stories, it deserves a fitting finale. But for now, we had another superb story on the way to getting there! I was thrilled with the cliffhanger at the end of part one with the emergence of the Cybermen intertwined with the Entity, but I initially thought the build up from the stories of the year previous was all for the Cybermen. My belief was that they were behind the Talent Scout and SERVEYOUinc but that actually wasn't the case. With the action packed events of part one, the Entity had inadvertently intercepted a Cyberman invasion ship and had actually taken them over and formed a horrifying hybrid! The Cybermen did look disturbing I must say and I really am glad that they appeared in their design prior to the drastic change in Nightmare in Silver. I thought the characterisation of Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor was excellent and arguably the best it has been in the entire DWC run thus far. It was really good, which it sometimes hasn't been. Alice has grown on me hugely as the stories have developed and I loved the way she challenged the Doctor here, even going as far as referring to him as a god. In human terms it would be hard to argue that he wasn't. He was constantly changing the past and future as he roamed through time but now Jones had been taken over by the Entity Cybermen and she wanted the Doctor to do something about. I was quite surprised that the Doctor just left Jones even if there wasn't really anything much he could do. I loved the continuation of the Roman setting at the battle for Milvian Bridge. Constantine, the Roman Emperor following the demise of Maximus, was brilliant and I loved the courage he displayed in wanting to protect his people and city by battling against the Cybermen. The way it was said that aliens, no matter how terrifying they were, always wanted something and just that allowed them to have a spot of weakness was superb. No matter how desperate, there was always a chance and I think that must be what the Doctor has always thought over his many battles against evil. Not many have topped the Cybermen when it comes to that respect and I just loved their appearance here. The reference to The Stolen Earth/Journey's End was fantastic and so was the climax of the story. To take on the Entity Cybermen, the Doctor became one with ARC and together they became one with the Entity. Once intertwined, the Doctor took charge and used the ability of showing what your heart most desires against the Cybermen and people around. It could possibly be seen as a birth of religion with numerous deities seen, and even a Cyber Deity that scared the Cybermen off! ARC seemed largely affected by the affair, but the Doctor had saved so many lives. However, Jones was still missing and they couldn't be sure whether he was alive or dead. Alice wasn't too pleased about that, but I refuse to believe he would simply vanish as being his conclusion as companion. I'm convinced he'll appear in the next story, which must surely serve as the first year finale! But for now, this was a superb comic strip story.

Rating: 9/10




No comments:

Post a Comment