Wednesday 23 December 2015

The Wormery


"The audio medium... It can be so deceptive."

Writers: Paul Magrs & Stephen Cole
Format: Audio
Released: November 2003
Series: Main Range 51

Featuring: Sixth Doctor, Iris

Synopsis 

There's one place in creation where the truth really can be found in the bottom of a glass - Bianca's, a very special and very exclusive little club. 

The Doctor, careworn and seeking quiet distraction, gains admission. But his rest and relaxation is soon shattered by the wobbly arrival of louche trans-temporal adventuress Iris Wildthyme. She claims she's on a secret mission of vital importance, the success of which hinges on her getting paralytic. When she's drunk, she can hear the whidohsring voices in her head...

The Doctor soon learns that Bianca's airs and graces cover not just one malevolent power lurking in the shadows, but several. And a wriggling, writhing presence has designs on the clientele - just as Bianca herself has designs on the Doctor. 

At last, after so many centuries, the weary Time Lord is dragged by the heels into that darkest of undiscovered countries... love...

Verdict 

The Wormery was an excellent audio adventure to kick on the Main Range of Big Finish audios after the rather eventful Zagreus and fortieth anniversary celebrations. Prior to listening, I was a bit sceptical about the inclusion of Iris Wildthyme in the companion role as I had never listened to a story with her before and I really do think ranges should remain exclusive. That's why I'm not a huge fan of the Rocket Men appearing in the Fourth Doctor Adventures as there may be those who collect the Tom Baker stories and have no desire to listen to the Companion Chronicles in which they made their first two appearances. But hey, that's just me. Thankfully, with two great writers at the helm, Iris and the Doctor's history was explained to us magnificently well and she was a welcomed character in my opinion by the end. Before listening, I was unaware that Iris was a fellow Gallifreyan to the Doctor and once I knew she was a Time Lady, my perspective on her character changed greatly and absolutely for the better. That opened up a lot of exciting opportunities but I most definitely wasn't expecting the one that we got! I thought it was incredible to do a version of the Valeyard for Iris! With hints dropped throughout, once the revelation was made and everything came together I had a smile on my face. It was extremely clever and from it we almost had the female version of The Trial of a Time Lord, a story that was neatly referenced on more than one occasion. I also really liked the references to The War Games and The Two Doctors. The concept of the story was somewhat similar to Ghost in the Machine with the use of tapes to tell the story. That audio adventure also coincidentally featured Katy Manning but in a completely different role. As Iris, she was flirtatious and flaunting everything she had, which reminds me of a particular picture with a Dalek. But with Iris involved, this was as close to the modern series as we've had so far from a Classic era story in terms of love. I'm quite surprised they chose the Sixth Doctor as the incarnation to follow that trail with but it absolutely worked! Colin Baker was just fantastic yet again and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is the most underrated Doctor of them all. He's definitely the best on audio. The interaction between Baker and Manning was fantastic and once Iris found out, or thought she had, that the Doctor was in love with Bianca I thought she was going to tear the house down! I really liked Mickey telling the story of the events we were listening to in the form of a story to Mr. Ashcroft. The revelation at the climax that he was actually the Seventh Doctor was a welcomed treat I must say! I was wondering throughout if we'd learn the identity of the keen listener but I wasn't expecting a cameo from the Seventh Doctor! Just what was he doing listening in on a previous adventure for his predecessor? Whatever it was, I liked it very much. The use of wormholes as means of transport to Bianca's was superb and I really liked the Doctor's disgust at this. He did end up playing her a treat in making her think he'd fallen in love with her and that was the key to solving the problem. I really liked the characters of Allis and Ballis but Iris actually stole the show with the incredible turnabout that Bianca's was the remains of her future TARDIS and Bianca was following in the footsteps of the Valeyard with the Doctor in wanting her remaining regenerations. It all came together wonderfully well, even if the shadow revelation was a bit disturbing! But everything got fixed with a clever climax and all was well. Overall, an excellent audio adventure! 

Rating: 9/10



 

No comments:

Post a Comment