Monday 8 June 2015

Blood and Ice Part 3


"It was fighting the Cybermen here that knocked the stuffing out of me... I was terrified, Clara. Nothing could have prepared me for it. Every particle in my body shifting, dissolving, dying..."

Writer: Jacqueline Rayner 
Format: Comic Strip
Released: 28th May 2015
Printed in: DWM 487

Featuring: Twelfth Doctor, Clara

Synopsis 

As the Doctor ponders over his first regeneration and Clara tries to help Winnie understand her own existence, Dr Audley's experiments are about to be revealed...

Verdict 

Blood and Ice continued in excellent fashion with this third part released in the latest Doctor Who Magazine, which was actually released some 11 days ago now! That's how much commitment and drive I've put into my A2 exams! I haven't even been able to purchase DWM until today, and what a wonderfully coincidental day to pick it up! After a day consisting of four hours worth of exams, I felt that DWM would be a nice treat on my one night free from revision before the drive kicks in ahead of two more exams next Monday. Just as I got home I received an email telling me that my recently emailed letter to Galaxy Forum had been chosen as the Star Letter of the Month! I was absolutely thrilled! It was due to my praise of part two of this very story that I got the star letter of the month award and I'll be sure to write in following the story's conclusion in the next issue. This issue of DWM looks mightily intriguing with the complete history of 92 invasions of Earth being accounted for! I'm really looking forward to the second part of the Doctor Who on home video feature and I think the John Nathan-Turner interview from the 90s will be most intriguing. I'll try my best with the crossword and maybe I'll get lucky in the competitions. The Carole Ann Ford interview will also be great! Back to the story itself and it continued magnificently with Winnie trying to deal with the fact that she was just a splinter of the woman she was now face to face with. She seemed to somewhat understand it after Clara explained her story with some great references again to The Bells of Saint John and The Name of the Doctor. It was nice that she understood but despite that she wasn't too impressed with the decision being made for. She didn't want her death decided to ensure the Doctor's survival. She didn't even know him so why should she die for him? I could completely understand Winnie's point of view and I actually felt sorry for her. The Doctor describing his first regeneration was something quite stunning and it's amazing that something this significant has never really been discussed before. The Doctor was genuinely scared and he was no longer who he thought he was. This ties in nicely with Steven Moffat's column in DWM in which he vaguely recalls a conversation with his add that was obviously during episode one of The Power of the Daleks as the young Moffat wasn't all that happy with the Doctor changing! If you missed part four of The Tenth Planet, a story that was beautifully referenced, you missed quite a lot! The revelation of Dr. Audley's experiments on her own students was certainly a shock and it appeared that the motive was very disturbed. I like the threat of oil companies taking over the Antarctica but I'm not convinced it warrants human experiments! That shows how obsessed Audely is in her disturbed motives. The links between the Doctor's first regeneration and Winnie's feelings of her other splinter selves was outstanding and it appears that Jacqueline Rayner has pulled out yet another gem from the bag. Will my inevitable praise of part four win me another star letter? Ha, I doubt it. But I know I'll always remember DWM 487 as the day I was the star of Galaxy Forum! Thank you to Peter Ware for my prize of The Good Soldier






No comments:

Post a Comment