Monday 8 September 2014

Exploration Earth



"Insolent ignoramus!"

Writer: Bernard Venables 
Format: Audio
Broadcast: 4th October 1976
Series: BBC Schools Radio #3

Featuring: Fourth Doctor, Sarah

Synopsis 

The TARDIS takes the Doctor and Sarah back in time to witness stages of Earth's development. However, as the planet evolves from a mass of heat and gas, Megron, the High Lord of Chaos, has his own designs on our homeworld. If his threats to endanger the stability of Earth have any substance, the existence of mankind itself is in question!

Verdict 

Exploration Earth, or The Time Machine as some people seem to prefer, was a pretty decent listen. Now, it's more in the education genre rather than sci-fi entertainment and why wouldn't it be going by the fact it was produced as part of BBC Schools? I knew prior to listening that it was for educational purposes and actually I was intrigued by that quite a lot. Doctor Who enables the study of the past in a great way and if young fans of the show can learn and have fun listening then something's going right. I love the pairing of the Fourth Doctor and Sarah so it was nice to hear a new adventure for them with both actors reprising their roles. The relationship was as it always was on TV - just magnificent. I liked the visits throughout different, important factors in the creation and maintenance of Earth. I'd have loved a visual of the TARDIS pairing in that capsule that was used for exploration because it sounded quite humorous going by Sarah's reaction. I liked how this story, despite being chronologically and broadcast first, didn't interfere with the events of The Runaway Bride in which it was depicted that the Racnoss did in fact become the centre of the Earth. I'm not sure the revived series would pay homage to a classic series audio such as this but it was nice to know there was no conflict between the two stories. And the Tenth Doctor's claim of going further back than ever before stands still and true. In every good Doctor Who story there has to be a villain or enemy and here we got the Megron who was and sounded rather dominating. I loved the sound of shock in the Doctor's voice when someone spoke at what was one of Earth's earliest point. It was the High Lord of Chaos, a title I just adore! To me he sounded better than the Trickster but didn't seem quite as successful. At just 19 minutes, this story wasn't the longest so there isn't too much to write about sadly. The educational value was very good and gave me a nice throwback to my childhood days which are now behind me as I get ready for a History degree at university. It just seemed I wasn't able to fully enjoy the story because I was the wrong audience. This one's certainly for the children as I don't think they'd mind or even fully understand the poor climax in which the word 'order' seems to be the reason the Megron is defeated. Overall, great TARDIS relationship, some good humour and dialogue but a poor climax for me as the wrong target audience. This could though be developed into something longer!

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment