Monday 24 February 2014

Last of the Titans


"You better not have come to blow me up."

Writer: Nicholas Briggs
Format: Audio
Released: January 2001
Series: DWM Bonus 01

Featuring: Seventh Doctor

Synopsis

Once again, the TARDIS displays its preference for the grimy, the odious and the dangerous - and, finding himself lost and alone in the dark heart of a gigantic spacecraft, the Doctor has no way of knowing that a cosmic catastrophe is waiting to happen...

Verdict

Last of the Titans is an enjoyable audio and takes on a format which I was very surprised with but adored. At times during the story, the Doctor himself would narrate! Now I don't mean Sylvester McCoy, I mean the character of the Doctor! It was unique, clever and brilliant! The story itself was very good and I liked how the Seventh Doctor was alone and companion-less and allowed some good humour for the Time Lord with the TARDIS. You'd think by now that the Doctor, in his seventh incarnation, would've fully fixed the TARDIS navigation system? Of course not, and we don't want it any other way. Vilgreth was a good character and the Titanthrope species was very good and I liked how he was created from ancient DNA strands on Earth in Devon. Vilgreth sounded pretty large and monstrous which was good but I really disliked the Devon accent of the Titanthrope, it took away a large proportion of fear factor. Stelpor was great and I liked his explaining of the truth behind Vilgreth, how he was a planet eater and that one of the Doctor's favourite planets, Ormelia, a regular planet the Doctor visited in his younger days, was next for the monster. The climax was great and overall I really enjoyed the Seventh Doctor being alone! It allowed for some humour and I loved the narration from the Doctor himself!

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment